Does mailman have the ability to send one email to globally subscribe to
all lists on the server?

thx for the help.

-sean

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 26, 2008 at 3:17 pm

    Sean Wilkins wrote:
    Does mailman have the ability to send one email to globally subscribe to
    all lists on the server?

    No.

  • Alex at Dec 27, 2008 at 2:53 am
    What would be the best way (if there is one) in Mailman to remove all
    attachments before maximum message size value sends the message to moderator
    for approval?.
    I have read archives about demime and stripmime but perl and other scripts
    make me nervous - i am not very good at this stuff and don't even know where
    to begin.

    Regards,
    Alex
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 29, 2008 at 4:42 pm

    Alex wrote:
    What would be the best way (if there is one) in Mailman to remove all
    attachments before maximum message size value sends the message to moderator
    for approval?.
    I have read archives about demime and stripmime but perl and other scripts
    make me nervous - i am not very good at this stuff and don't even know where
    to begin.

    The issue you see arises because the Hold handler which enforces the
    maximum message size comed earlier in the handler pipeline than the
    MimeDel handler which does content filtering.

    What I do for my production site is add the following lines to mm_cfg.py

    #
    # Put MimeDel ahead of Hold so "too big" is based on content filtered
    # message.
    #
    GLOBAL_PIPELINE.remove('MimeDel')
    GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(GLOBAL_PIPELINE.index('Hold'), 'MimeDel')

    (Only the last two are required. The first 4 are documentation of
    what's being done).

    The result of this is the message is not held if content filtering
    reduces its size below the max. Also, any messages held for
    'miscellaneous' reasons have already been content filtered, but
    messages held for 'membership' reasons (non-member or moderated
    member) will be content filtered after approval.

  • Alex at Dec 31, 2008 at 4:03 am
    This was a two part question and Marc, thank you very much, second part was
    answered and it works great!
    Now to the first part - the key word was 'all' - is there a wildcard for
    <content filtering> - <Remove message attachments that have a matching
    filename extension> field that will cover all and any attachment filename
    extension?
    Or what would be the best way to remove all attachments in Mailman without
    installing any more software - i'm surprised i got this far as it is and
    don't want to push my luck.

    Regards and happy holidays to all!

[...]

  • Brad Knowles at Dec 31, 2008 at 5:06 pm

    Now to the first part - the key word was 'all' - is there a wildcard for
    <content filtering> - <Remove message attachments that have a matching
    filename extension> field that will cover all and any attachment
    filename extension?
    Unfortunately, no.

    You can try using the other field, where you specify the attachment
    types you will allow. All others will be stripped.
    Or what would be the best way to remove all attachments in Mailman
    without installing any more software - i'm surprised i got this far as
    it is and don't want to push my luck.
    You could also do attachment stripping inside your MTA, or in another
    program that gets called by your MTA before it calls Mailman. There are
    programs with names like "demime" and "stripmime" which might be helpful
    here.

    --
    Brad Knowles
    <brad at shub-internet.org> If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out

    Brad Knowles wrote:
    Now to the first part - the key word was 'all' - is there a wildcard for
    <content filtering> - <Remove message attachments that have a matching
    filename extension> field that will cover all and any attachment
    filename extension?
    Unfortunately, no.

    You can try using the other field, where you specify the attachment
    types you will allow. All others will be stripped.
    Or what would be the best way to remove all attachments in Mailman
    without installing any more software - i'm surprised i got this far as
    it is and don't want to push my luck.
    You could also do attachment stripping inside your MTA, or in another
    program that gets called by your MTA before it calls Mailman. There are
    programs with names like "demime" and "stripmime" which might be helpful
    here.

    To give a little more detail, Mailman's content filtering is based
    primarily on MIME Content-Type:.

    You can filter based on file name extension, but that filter only
    affects MIME parts that have a filename or name parameter in the
    filtered based on extension.

    The concept of attachment is not well defined in MIME. There is a
    Mailman doesn't look at it.

    You can set pass_mime_types in content filtering to just text/plain,
    and this will filter out everything but text/plain parts. It will
    still pass text/plain "attachments" however.

  • Grant Taylor at Dec 31, 2008 at 8:56 pm