I tried yesterday unsuccessfully from upgrade mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.6
on Centos 4 to the latest 2.1.11 from sourceforge.

When I ran "configure" it said I needed to install Python from source or
install the Python-devel package, so I installed the python-devel.

# yum -y install python-devel

Then "configure" said my mailman package path was not in
"/usr/local/mailman", which it is not, it is in "/usr/lib/mailman".

So, within the unpackaged mailman 2.1.11 dir, I did a global replace to
put my path in there:

# perl -pi -e 's/usr\/local\/mailman/usr\/lib\/mailman/g' `find ./ -type f`

Then "configure" ran successfully, then ran "make", then "make install".
All seemed to go well. I did "check_perms" and fixed permissions. started
up mailman "service mailman start", and all seemed to be running fine, but
now none of my lists showed "lists_lists". My "mm_cfg.py" was untouched.
Being in a hurry because I didn't alert any of the lists members of
downtime, I freaked out and restored my system. Luckily I just did a full
backup of my LVM, so booted up via live CD and restored the LVM from the
dump file and was back online.

Is there anything special to do when updating from source? I've usually
done it from RPM packages. Any pointers? Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 21, 2008 at 12:17 am

    Paul wrote:
    I tried yesterday unsuccessfully from upgrade mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.6
    on Centos 4 to the latest 2.1.11 from sourceforge.

    When I ran "configure" it said I needed to install Python from source or
    install the Python-devel package, so I installed the python-devel.

    # yum -y install python-devel

    Good.

    Then "configure" said my mailman package path was not in
    "/usr/local/mailman", which it is not, it is in "/usr/lib/mailman".

    So, within the unpackaged mailman 2.1.11 dir, I did a global replace to
    put my path in there:

    # perl -pi -e 's/usr\/local\/mailman/usr\/lib\/mailman/g' `find ./ -type f`

    This is probably insufficient and definitely wrong. First, if ALL of
    your existing Mailman is in /usr/lib/mailman, you should be able to
    successfully configure with

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/lib/mailman (plus your other configure
    options like

    --with-mail-gid group name mail programs run as
    --with-cgi-gid group name CGI programs run as
    --with-mailhost specify the hostname part for outgoing email
    --with-urlhost specify the hostname part of urls
    )

    Then "configure" ran successfully, then ran "make", then "make install".
    All seemed to go well. I did "check_perms" and fixed permissions. started
    up mailman "service mailman start", and all seemed to be running fine, but
    now none of my lists showed "lists_lists". My "mm_cfg.py" was untouched.
    Being in a hurry because I didn't alert any of the lists members of
    downtime, I freaked out and restored my system. Luckily I just did a full
    backup of my LVM, so booted up via live CD and restored the LVM from the
    dump file and was back online.

    Is there anything special to do when updating from source? I've usually
    done it from RPM packages. Any pointers? Thanks.

    The most likely explanation is your existing installation is RedHats
    FHS compliant Mailman, and various parts of it are all over the place.
    See
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2004-October/017343.html>.

    If this is the case, you could try to apply the patch attached to that
    post before running configure, but it may not apply to 2.1.11 since
    it's against a 2.1.5 base. I wouldn't recommend that approach.

    Assuming you are not running SELinux, I suggest you start over with a
    fresh unpack of the 2.1.11 tarball and configure with the options

    --prefix=/usr/lib/mailman
    --with-var-prefix=/var/lib/mailman

    in addition to any others you might need. Then allow some time for the
    next steps.

    Stop Mailman

    Create /var/lib/mailman/data/ and /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/ if necessary.
    Move /etc/mailman/* to /var/lib/mailman/data/
    Stop the MTA

    If you are using Postfix and automatic alias generation for Postfix,
    update alias_maps and if applicable, virtual_alias_maps in Postfix's
    main.cf to point to the new locations in /var/lib/mailman/data/.

    Move /var/spool/mailman/* to /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/
    make install
    Start the MTA
    Start Mailman

    If you are running SELinux, you will either have to stick with the
    current locations for everything and use RedHat's patch or revise your
    security policies.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 20, '08 at 11:05p