I recieve hundreds of messages everyday as uncaught bounce notifications and most of them are spam ADs of pills and stuff sent to my list.. and some of them are actually uncaught bounces by mailman. I can't keep opening the messages everyday to filter them, on the other hand I can't afford to ignore the actual uncaught spams in order not to be blocked by their corresponding mail servers!

is there a way to let mailman unsubscribe the addresses of uncaught spams automatically from my lists instead of sending it to me?

Thanks..

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm

    faisal anif wrote:
    I recieve hundreds of messages everyday as uncaught bounce notifications and most of them are spam ADs of pills and stuff sent to my list.. and some of them are actually uncaught bounces by mailman. I can't keep opening the messages everyday to filter them, on the other hand I can't afford to ignore the actual uncaught spams in order not to be blocked by their corresponding mail servers!

    is there a way to let mailman unsubscribe the addresses of uncaught spams automatically from my lists instead of sending it to me?

    If Mailman could recognize the DSN as such and extract the address from
    it, it wouldn't be "uncaught"; it would be handled be bounce
    processing.

    If you collect the legitimate bounces that are unrecognized and send
    them to me off list, I can try to update the recognizers to recognize
    them. However, please don't do this unless you are running a recent
    Mailman, at least 2.1.9 or preferably 2.1.11, since otherwise you will
    probably be sending me ones that are already recognized in later
    Mailman. Also, don't send me non-English language DSNs unless they
    have an RFC3464 compliant message/delivery-status part.

    Also note, that if you enable VERP in Mailman (or in your MTA),
    legitimate bounces will never be unrecognized. Set

    VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
    VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
    VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

    in mm_cfg.py to enable it in Mailman.

    Finally, it would help greatly if you would install some effective spam
    filtering ahead of Mailman.

  • Grant Taylor at Dec 12, 2008 at 9:15 pm