I am running Mailman 2.1.10. A few days ago I updated my Python to
version 2.6 and everything looked good, list mail was flowing without
problem.

All of a sudden this afternoon, I started getting errors
"ImportError: No module named message" on everything. This particular
one is frim an attempt to re-install Mailman to make sure everything
was up to date:

/var/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py:32: DeprecationWarning: the sha module
is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
import sha
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 110, in <module>
from Mailman.MailList import MailList
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 51, in <module>
from Mailman.Archiver import Archiver
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/__init__.py", line 17, in
<module>
from Archiver import *
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 32, in
<module>
from Mailman import Mailbox
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Mailbox.py", line 21, in <module>
import mailbox
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/mailbox.py", line 19, in <module>
import email.message
ImportError: No module named message

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 4, 2008 at 7:50 pm
    rpyne at kinfolk.org
    I am running Mailman 2.1.10. A few days ago I updated my Python to
    version 2.6 and everything looked good, list mail was flowing without
    problem.

    All of a sudden this afternoon, I started getting errors
    "ImportError: No module named message" on everything. This particular
    one is frim an attempt to re-install Mailman to make sure everything
    was up to date:

    You probably hadn't restarted Mailman until the errors started
    occurring.

    Mailman through 2.1.11 is not compatible with Python 2.6. The problem
    you are having is the serious one - the others just cause deprecation
    warnings.

    You have a few choices.

    If you still have the older Python, you can reconfigure Mailman using
    the --with-python option to configure to point to the older Python.

    You can downgrade Python.

    You can get the latest Mailman 2.1 branch from
    <https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> (requires a
    recent bzr on your system to get the branch) and install that.

    Also, you may be able to work around the problem by just removing the
    pythonlib/email/ directory from your Mailman installation. This won't
    stop the deprecation warnings, but it may allow your current Mailman
    to run.

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 4, 2008 at 7:59 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Also, you may be able to work around the problem by just removing the
    pythonlib/email/ directory from your Mailman installation. This won't
    stop the deprecation warnings, but it may allow your current Mailman
    to run.

    Actually, that won't work. removing the pythonlib/email/ directory will
    eliminate the "ImportError: No module named message", but it will
    create other errors, namely "AttributeError: Message instance has no
    attribute 'get_type'"

    Also, you'll get other errors on the remaining 'string exceptions'.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 4, '08 at 7:19p
activeDec 4, '08 at 7:59p