I recently set up a searchable archive for my mailman installation
using the instructions found here:
http://wpkg.org/Integrating_Mailman_with_a_Swish-e_search_engine

Everything works exactly as expected, but there is one small
problem. Every time a new message is posted to any list that
contains the updated template (which includes the search box),
mailman will overwrite the archive index page without including the
code for the search. An example of what it is supposed to be is
here: http://www.butchevans.com/pipermail/mikrotik/. I have updated
the template files in /usr/local/mailman/template/en/ and I thought
this would fix the problem, but it does not appear to do so.

I am not certain if the problem occurs when a message is posted to
the list or when the swish-e index is redone (I do this hourly via
cron). It appears, however, to happen on a new message post. I
just need a little assistance in finding how to determine which
program is using the wrong template page and locating the particular
template file that needs to be updated. Any ideas? FWIW, I updated
to Mailman 2.1.11 today hoping that would fix the problem, but no
joy. :-(

* Butch Evans * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering *
* http://www.wispa.org/ * WISPA Board Member *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/ * Wired or Wireless Networks *

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 24, 2008 at 1:28 am

    Butch Evans wrote:
    Everything works exactly as expected, but there is one small
    problem. Every time a new message is posted to any list that
    contains the updated template (which includes the search box),
    mailman will overwrite the archive index page without including the
    code for the search. An example of what it is supposed to be is
    here: http://www.butchevans.com/pipermail/mikrotik/. I have updated
    the template files in /usr/local/mailman/template/en/ and I thought
    this would fix the problem, but it does not appear to do so.

    You shouldn't edit /usr/local/mailman/template/en/* templates because
    they will be overwritten in an upgrade. You should put the edited
    templates in /usr/local/mailman/template/site/en/ (which you have to
    create) as discussed in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.

    But that's not the cause of your problem. ArchRunner keeps a cache of
    templates, so you need to restart Mailman or at least ArchRunner after
    making any changes that affect archive templates. Did you do that?

    I am not certain if the problem occurs when a message is posted to
    the list or when the swish-e index is redone (I do this hourly via
    cron). It appears, however, to happen on a new message post. I
    just need a little assistance in finding how to determine which
    program is using the wrong template page and locating the particular
    template file that needs to be updated. Any ideas? FWIW, I updated
    to Mailman 2.1.11 today hoping that would fix the problem, but no
    joy. :-(

    And did that upgrade replace your edited templates?

  • Butch Evans at Nov 24, 2008 at 1:52 am

    You shouldn't edit /usr/local/mailman/template/en/* templates
    because they will be overwritten in an upgrade. You should put the
    edited templates in /usr/local/mailman/template/site/en/ (which you
    have to create) as discussed in the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.
    Ok. I'll be sure to copy my changes over there. The page I was
    using didn't state that. I edited the page (it is a wiki) to
    indicate the requirements you suggested. After testing the changes
    you suggested, my problem was solved.
    But that's not the cause of your problem. ArchRunner keeps a cache
    of templates, so you need to restart Mailman or at least ArchRunner
    after making any changes that affect archive templates. Did you do
    that?
    Hmm..Not until I upgraded. I wonder if the problem still exists
    after I fixed the overwritten templates (I had forgotten to replace
    them with my updated templates until AFTER the restart).
    And did that upgrade replace your edited templates?
    yes, but I had backups, which I put in the same place. Thanks for
    the tip. I truly appreciate your help.

    * Butch Evans * Professional Network Consultation*
    * http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering *
    * http://www.wispa.org/ * WISPA Board Member *
    * http://blog.butchevans.com/ * Wired or Wireless Networks *
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 24, 2008 at 4:26 am

    Butch Evans wrote:
    But that's not the cause of your problem. ArchRunner keeps a cache
    of templates, so you need to restart Mailman or at least ArchRunner
    after making any changes that affect archive templates. Did you do
    that?
    Hmm..Not until I upgraded. I wonder if the problem still exists
    after I fixed the overwritten templates (I had forgotten to replace
    them with my updated templates until AFTER the restart).

    So by the time you replaced the overwritten templates, ArchRunner had
    probably cached the ones from the 2.1.11 upgrade, so you still
    need(ed) to restart Mailman with the edited templates in place,
    preferably in /usr/local/mailman/templates/site/en so they won't be
    overwritten again.

  • Butch Evans at Nov 24, 2008 at 4:52 am

    So by the time you replaced the overwritten templates, ArchRunner
    had probably cached the ones from the 2.1.11 upgrade, so you still
    need(ed) to restart Mailman with the edited templates in place,
    preferably in /usr/local/mailman/templates/site/en so they won't be
    overwritten again.
    Correct. I have already moved the changed templates to the new
    (correct) location. After that I restarted as you suggested and
    bada-BING! Thanks again for your help.

    P.S.
    I bookmarked the FAQ again, too. :-) I should have looked for it,
    but didn't. I guess after 16 years as an ISP, I can still act a
    little like a n00b.

    * Butch Evans * Professional Network Consultation*
    * http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering *
    * http://www.wispa.org/ * WISPA Board Member *
    * http://blog.butchevans.com/ * Wired or Wireless Networks *

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 24, '08 at 12:48a
activeNov 24, '08 at 4:52a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Butch Evans: 3 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts