Mailman used to send me an email as the "site admin" that a new list has
been created. I use the web interface to create new lists. This email
had the aliases I needed to add to the /etc/mail/aliases file in the
body of the email. I have upgraded Mailman months ago but didn't
notice that I had not been receiving this until now as the lists were
already setup.

I know I can run the genaliases command to get the same output but I
fear I am not seeing all of the mailman site admin email.

Is the email sent from a python script to an alias? is it specified in a
config file?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 19, 2008 at 3:23 pm

    Sean Murphy wrote:
    Mailman used to send me an email as the "site admin" that a new list has
    been created. I use the web interface to create new lists. This email
    had the aliases I needed to add to the /etc/mail/aliases file in the
    body of the email. I have upgraded Mailman months ago but didn't
    notice that I had not been receiving this until now as the lists were
    already setup.

    I know I can run the genaliases command to get the same output but I
    fear I am not seeing all of the mailman site admin email.

    Is the email sent from a python script to an alias? is it specified in a
    config file?

    This mail is only sent if MTA = 'Manual'. If you have MTA = 'Postfix'
    or MTA = None in mm_cfg.py, no aliases mail will be sent.

    When sent, the mail is sent to mailman-owner at ... (or whatever the name
    of the site list is). You can test if this mail is deliverable by just
    mailing anything to that address.

  • Sean Murphy at Dec 1, 2008 at 8:44 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Sean Murphy wrote:
[...]

    I checked the mm_cfg.py and then the defaults.py it is currently set to
    manual, that should be good. So I think the email address for the site
    admin is incorrect. I did a couple of searches in those files above
    with no luck. Where do I change the "site admin's" email address?

    Thanks
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 1, 2008 at 9:19 pm

    Sean Murphy wrote:
    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    When sent, the mail is sent to mailman-owner at ... (or whatever the name
    of the site list is). You can test if this mail is deliverable by just
    mailing anything to that address.
    I checked the mm_cfg.py and then the defaults.py it is currently set to
    manual, that should be good. So I think the email address for the site
    admin is incorrect. I did a couple of searches in those files above
    with no luck. Where do I change the "site admin's" email address?

    As I said, the mail is sent to mailman-owner at ... (assuming the site
    list is named 'mailman' and is ultimately sent to the owner of that
    list.

    Go to the admin web interface for the 'mailman' list (something like
    http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/mailman/), log in and set 'owner'
    (The list administrator email addresses. Multiple administrator
    addresses, each on separate line is okay.)

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 18, '08 at 8:10p
activeDec 1, '08 at 9:19p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Sean Murphy: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts