It's fixed! Once I changed the permissions on my private directory using:

chmod o+x private

I was able to access the public archives.

Thanks!
Jewel

Mark Sapiro wrote:
drwxrws--- 202 mailman mailman 12288 Nov 14 09:15 private
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Nov 14 09:15 public

At least part of the problem is the private/ directory's ownership and
permission.

You need to do one of the following:

chmod o+x private

or

chown apache private

where 'apache' is the user that the web server runs as. If your web
server runs as some other user (maybe 'www' or 'nobody') you need to
use that instead.

In other words, archives/private must be either o+x or owned by the
user the web server runs as (set by the User directive in httpd.conf).

Also, i am confused what /pipermail/ really is. I don't see a directory
called pipermail.

There is no 'pipermail' directory. You have (or should have) in
httpd.conf

Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/lib/mailman/archives/public/"

This directive overrides the DocumentRoot directive for URLs of the
form http://www.example.com/pipermail/... and says to look for
/usr/lib/mailman/archives/public/... to satisfy that request.

I am confused about what's going on. You were getting a 403 which was
caused by the ownership/premissions on archives/private.

Now you're getting a 404 because you either removed the

Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/lib/mailman/archives/public/"

or it's in a <VirtualHost> block for a host other than the one you are
accessing. The 404 is because apache is looking for pipermail in the
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/ because the Alias /pipermail/ has gone
missing.
--
Jewel Makda
Student Computer Services Coordinator