I'm looking for some help finding out why a message was not delivered to
one of our lists.

We're running Mailman 2.1.10 on Debian.

I tracked the message from our postfix relays to the Mailman server,
where I see the following in the smtp log:

smtp.1:Nov 12 17:27:08 2008 (6917)
<mailman.50515.1226539627.6914.outages at lists.oregonstate.edu> smtp to
outages for 1 recips, completed in 0.037 seconds

There are no other log entries for that message - nothing in vette or
error. But the message never came to the list. There were no pending
moderation requests, it's not in the list archive and obviously the
subscribers didn't receive it.

Another message was sent to the list a few minutes later, and delivered
successfully:

smtp.1:Nov 12 17:39:06 2008 (6917)
<7B4268E5ACB878429B58D4BE5B780E8301BA8A4F at NWS-EXCH2.nws.oregonstate.edu>
smtp to outages for 181 recips, completed in 0.190 seconds

The first message was sent to "outages at oregonstate.edu", an alias for
the list address. The "require_explicit_destination" setting is set to
"No". The second message was sent to the actual list address,
outages at lists.oregonstate.edu, and was delivered normally.

So why did the first message only go to "1 recips"? Are there any other
logs that I can check to discover what went wrong?

________________
Kirsten Petersen
Network Services * Oregon State University
http://oregonstate.edu/net * irc.oregonstate.edu #osu-is
"Paper doesn't grow on trees."

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 14, 2008 at 6:21 pm

    Petersen, Kirsten J wrote:
    I'm looking for some help finding out why a message was not delivered to
    one of our lists.

    We're running Mailman 2.1.10 on Debian.

    I tracked the message from our postfix relays to the Mailman server,
    where I see the following in the smtp log:

    smtp.1:Nov 12 17:27:08 2008 (6917)
    <mailman.50515.1226539627.6914.outages at lists.oregonstate.edu> smtp to
    outages for 1 recips, completed in 0.037 seconds

    This is not the message to Mailman. It is some kind of notice being
    sent from Mailman to someone (the Message-ID is a Mailman generated
    message id). It may be a reject notice to a poster or a notice of some
    kind to the list owner or completely unrelated to the 'missing' post.

    There are no other log entries for that message - nothing in vette or
    error. But the message never came to the list. There were no pending
    moderation requests, it's not in the list archive and obviously the
    subscribers didn't receive it.

    All of which is consistent with a rejected post.

    Another message was sent to the list a few minutes later, and delivered
    successfully:

    smtp.1:Nov 12 17:39:06 2008 (6917)
    <7B4268E5ACB878429B58D4BE5B780E8301BA8A4F at NWS-EXCH2.nws.oregonstate.edu>
    smtp to outages for 181 recips, completed in 0.190 seconds

    The first message was sent to "outages at oregonstate.edu", an alias for
    the list address. The "require_explicit_destination" setting is set to
    "No". The second message was sent to the actual list address,
    outages at lists.oregonstate.edu, and was delivered normally.

    So why did the first message only go to "1 recips"? Are there any other
    logs that I can check to discover what went wrong?

    The message to 1 recipient was not the post. As I said above, it was a
    mailman generated notice, possibly about the post. Find this message
    in your MTA logs and see who it was delivered to for clues. If it is a
    rejected post, there won't be anything else in Mailman's logs.

    My best guess is the post was rejected for some reason and the message
    to 1 recipient was the rejection notice.

    It seems unlikely that the rejection is related to the address to which
    the message was sent.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 13, '08 at 4:31p