Mailman Gurus,

I am currently doing volunteer work for a small non-profit organization.
Our web site host (RTPnet.org) also offers Mailman e-mail lists as part of
the hosting package. Therefore we don't have server access to Mailman other
than as a user with lists setup.

The organization has a "chat" Mailman list. Currently the list
administrator is manually adding users to this list. However, we would like
to allow the user to do this themselves by entering a name and email
address in a box on one of the web pages. For Spam protection the list is
setup to "confirm" all subscriptions.

Can any of you offer suggestions or point to resources of how to do this
from a web page? There doesn't seem to be any info or pointers to resources
on the Mailman site as to how to do this.

Thanks,

Steve

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Nov 5, 2008 at 4:21 pm

    Steve Lund wrote:

    Can any of you offer suggestions or point to resources of how to do this
    from a web page? There doesn't seem to be any info or pointers to
    resources on the Mailman site as to how to do this.
    Mailman has a built-in web interface. This web interface allows users to
    sign themselves up for mailing lists, as well as allowing list owners to
    manage their lists, etc....

    What about this process is not working? And why haven't you contacted your
    provider first?

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 5, 2008 at 4:32 pm

    Steve Lund wrote:
    Can any of you offer suggestions or point to resources of how to do this
    from a web page? There doesn't seem to be any info or pointers to resources
    on the Mailman site as to how to do this.

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/hIA9>.

  • Steve Lund at Nov 6, 2008 at 1:08 am
    Mark,

    Thanks for the pointer it does look pretty easy.

    Next stupid question... Are all of these Mailman variables and uses
    documented in one place somewhere or is it best to just reverse engineer an
    example web page that has the functionality that you need?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Can any of you offer suggestions or point to resources of how to do this
    from a web page? There doesn't seem to be any info or pointers to resources
    on the Mailman site as to how to do this.

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/hIA9>.

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 6, 2008 at 3:49 am

    Steve Lund wrote:
    Next stupid question... Are all of these Mailman variables and uses
    documented in one place somewhere or is it best to just reverse engineer an
    example web page that has the functionality that you need?

    I'm sorry to say there is little or no documentation at this level
    outside of the web pages themselves, the Python source code and some
    FAQ articles and email list posts.

    Reverse engineering of example web pages is likely to be the the most
    productive approach.

  • Jan Steinman at Nov 6, 2008 at 12:36 am

    I am currently doing volunteer work for a small non-profit
    organization. Our web site host (RTPnet.org) also offers Mailman e-
    mail lists as part of the hosting package. Therefore we don't have
    server access to Mailman other than as a user with lists setup.

    The organization has a "chat" Mailman list. Currently the list
    administrator is manually adding users to this list. However, we
    would like to allow the user to do this themselves by entering a
    name and email address in a box on one of the web pages. For Spam
    protection the list is setup to "confirm" all subscriptions.

    Can any of you offer suggestions or point to resources of how to do
    this from a web page? There doesn't seem to be any info or pointers
    to resources on the Mailman site as to how to do this.
    <form action="http://www.YourDomainHere.com/mailman/subscribe/YourEmailListName
    " method="post" style="display:inline"> <table border="0"
    cellpadding="4"> <tr><td colspan="2"><div
    align="left">Name:</td> <td><input type="text" name="fullname"

    :::: The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.
    -- George W. Bush ::::
    :::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::
  • Jan Steinman at Nov 7, 2008 at 5:57 am

    From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>

    Reverse engineering of example web pages is likely to be the the most
    productive approach.
    And if you know a bit about HTML forms, this is really quite simple,
    and is how I came up with the example I posted.

    Simply look at the HTML source of any page of interest, then make the
    fields in your own form use the same "name" attribute.

    I did this (for example) to help a computer-timid person maintain
    subscriptions by putting a simple TEXTAREA named "subscribees" on the
    admin page of their website. (They were intimidated by going through
    the Mailman admin interface, and all they ever wanted to do was add
    and delete subscribers.)

    :::: "With your intensive agriculture," he went on, "you're simply
    draining the soil of phosphorus. More than half of one per cent a
    year. Going clean out of circulation. And then the way you throw away
    hundreds of thousands of tons of phosphorus pentoxide in your sewage!
    Pouring it into the sea. And you call that progress. Your modern
    sewage systems!" His tone was witheringly scornful. "You ought to be
    putting it back where it came from. On the land." Lord Edward shook an
    admonitory finger and frowned. "On the land, I tell you." -- Aldus
    Huxley, from "Point Counter Point," published 1928 ::::
    :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 5, '08 at 2:05a