[I tried first to get help for this problem using the list for the Debian
package of Mailman - unfortunately, no one answered. So I try it again
here. If this does not succeed, I will try another MTA instead of Exim4.]

Dear Mailman experts,

I'm using the Mailman package with Exim 4 on a Debian Etch/testing system
'ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de' (which is an alias for
'ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de', BTW). I followed the installation
instructions in README.Debian.Exim4, however, I do still have problems,
because the mailing lists do not work for some senders.

An example is the list 'kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de'.
It seems that emails from Solaris/Sendmail systems do not get through,
because the university mail server asks for the user 'kurs-6484' on my
server, and is told that this user does not exist. However, sending from
other machines to this list (e.g. machines running Postfix or Exim4) seems
to work without problems and the Exim 4 logs show that the mailman_router
and mailman_transport is correctly used in that case.

The error message I receive when I send from the Solaris system is as
follows:

The original message was received at Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)
from neuss at localhost

kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
(reason: 550-Callout verification failed:)

... while talking to mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de.:
RCPT To:<kurs-6484 at ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>
<<< 550-Callout verification failed:
<<< 550 550 Unrouteable address
550 5.1.1 kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de... User unknown

Reporting-MTA: dns; ma-srv.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; kurs-6484 at ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550-Callout verification failed:
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:57 +0200 (MEST)

From: "Dr. Nicolas Neuss" <neuss>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)

Test

It would be very nice, if someone could help me with this problem.

Thank you very much,
Nicolas Neuss

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Nov 4, 2008 at 7:08 pm

    Nicolas Neuss wrote:

    An example is the list 'kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de'.
    It seems that emails from Solaris/Sendmail systems do not get through,
    because the university mail server asks for the user 'kurs-6484' on my
    server, and is told that this user does not exist. However, sending from
    other machines to this list (e.g. machines running Postfix or Exim4) seems
    to work without problems and the Exim 4 logs show that the mailman_router
    and mailman_transport is correctly used in that case.
    Sounds to me like your aliases aren't set up properly.
    The error message I receive when I send from the Solaris system is as
    follows:
    What do you actually get in your log files on your machine? Check both your
    Exim logs and your Mailman logs.

    Without this kind of information, you're flying blind ... into a Category 5
    hurricane ... in the Alps. And you're probably in an unpressurized aircraft
    which isn't rated for that altitude, much less heavy weather.

    The question now is -- do you have your instrument rating, or are you VFR only?

  • Nicolas Neuss at Nov 5, 2008 at 12:13 pm

    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> writes:

    Nicolas Neuss wrote:

    Sounds to me like your aliases aren't set up properly.

    What do you actually get in your log files on your machine? Check both
    your Exim logs and your Mailman logs.

    Without this kind of information, you're flying blind ... into a Category
    5 hurricane ... in the Alps. And you're probably in an unpressurized
    aircraft which isn't rated for that altitude, much less heavy weather.

    The question now is -- do you have your instrument rating, or are you VFR
    only?
    :-)

    Thank you for the nice analogy. Indeed, I have no IFR rating (translation:
    know very little about MTAs, Python, and configuring Mailman). Therefore,
    I decided that I need ground help. And hints as the above about aliases or
    Mark Sapiros post are very important for me.

    I guess that the problem is indeed what Mark Sapiro wrote, because the two
    names are indeed a peculiarity of my setup. Tomorrow, we (I and our domain
    administrator) want to try changing the names for the server. I'll report
    back, if it does (or does not) help.

    Thanks to everyone,
    Nicolas Neuss
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 5, 2008 at 12:41 am

    Nicolas Neuss wrote:
    I'm using the Mailman package with Exim 4 on a Debian Etch/testing system
    'ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de' (which is an alias for
    'ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de', BTW).
    This is your problem. You cannot reliably deliver mail to a CNAME. In
    order to reliably deliver mail to
    'ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de', it must have an A record or an
    MX record, the target of which has an A record.

    What I see in DNS is

    ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. 86400 IN CNAME
    ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de.

    and

    ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. 86400 IN A 129.13.253.25

    and

    ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. 86400 IN MX 100
    mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de.

    What you need is

    ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. 86400 IN MX 100
    mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de.

    and additionally if you need the address

    ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. 86400 IN A 129.13.253.25

    and definitely no CNAME.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 3, '08 at 8:40p