Some members of the list posted back in 2003 about known problems
with footers not appearing in mail readers like Outlook using default settings.

I'm using Mailman 2.1.5 and wondering if I upgrade to a newer version
will I get any better results with messages going out that "hide" the
footer as an attachment?

I suspect the problem is, as was explained in some of those old list
messages, that senders are sending RTF or HTML, but the footer is
plain text, so Mailman separates them.

If MM developers have figured out a way in a newer version to better
assure people won't miss the footer, I'd appreciate knowing (and will
upgrade). Or if there are any other nifty ideas to get around this
problem in 2.1.5, I'd appreciate knowing that as well!

Thanks,

Allan Trick
Principia College
Elsah, Illinois

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Oct 23, 2008 at 3:13 pm

    Allan Trick wrote:

    I'm using Mailman 2.1.5 and wondering if I upgrade to a newer version
    will I get any better results with messages going out that "hide" the
    footer as an attachment? Nope.
    I suspect the problem is, as was explained in some of those old list
    messages, that senders are sending RTF or HTML, but the footer is plain
    text, so Mailman separates them.
    Right. They get put into a separate MIME bodypart, which some MUAs will
    display together, but others won't.
    If MM developers have figured out a way in a newer version to better
    assure people won't miss the footer, I'd appreciate knowing (and will
    upgrade). Or if there are any other nifty ideas to get around this
    problem in 2.1.5, I'd appreciate knowing that as well!
    You could drop the footers altogether. You could strip all non-ASCII text
    content, and convert HTML to ASCII text. You might still get separate MIME
    bodyparts if the character set was different, but I don't think there's
    anything more you could do from the Mailman side.

    Alternatively, throw out all the crappy MUAs that behave badly, and replace
    them all with good ones.

  • John Whitney at Oct 23, 2008 at 4:47 pm
    I found this:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2005-February/017850.html

    If you want to go HTML all the way w/headers and footers and body. I
    have no idea if it works. Let us know if you try it!

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 22, '08 at 10:20p
activeOct 23, '08 at 4:47p