I was able to get the hostname resolved by running the fix_url script.
Now I am running into a new problem. I am not able to access the
archives of the lists I just created. The first list says "Forbidden -
You don't have permission to access /pipermail/jewel/ on this server."
My second list is my 'mailman' list which when I click on archives it
jumps back to the listinfo page. Below are my permissions.

Permissions under /archives...
drwxrwsr-x 4 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 14 15:30 .
drwxrwsr-x 20 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 14 15:30 ..
drwxrws--- 6 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 private
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 public

Permissions under lists...
drwxrwsr-x 4 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 .
drwxrwsr-x 20 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 14 15:30 ..
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 10:19 jewel
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 10:18 mailman

Permissions under list 'jewel'...
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 10:19 .
drwxrwsr-x 4 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 ..
-rw-rw---x 1 apache mailman 3738 Oct 22 10:19 config.pck
-rw-rw---- 1 apache mailman 3713 Oct 22 10:19 config.pck.last

Permissions under list 'mailman'...
drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 10:18 .
drwxrwsr-x 4 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 ..
-rw-rw---- 1 apache mailman 3713 Oct 22 10:18 config.pck
-rw-rw---- 1 apache mailman 3717 Oct 22 10:18 config.pck.last

Everytime I run check_perms -f is says "no problems found."

Mark, thank you so far for all of your previous help, everything you
have sent me has worked! This listserv is wonderful.

Jewel

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm

    jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu wrote:
    I was able to get the hostname resolved by running the fix_url script.
    Now I am running into a new problem. I am not able to access the
    archives of the lists I just created. The first list says "Forbidden -
    You don't have permission to access /pipermail/jewel/ on this server."
    My second list is my 'mailman' list which when I click on archives it
    jumps back to the listinfo page. Below are my permissions.

    Permissions under /archives...
    drwxrwsr-x 4 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 14 15:30 .
    drwxrwsr-x 20 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 14 15:30 ..
    drwxrws--- 6 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 private
    drwxrwsr-x 2 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 22 09:32 public

    Did you get this message from check_perms

    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private
    archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this.

    and "fix" it by "chmod o-x archives/private" or something similar. This
    is not complete. The web server needs to be able to search the
    archives/private directory for poblic archives because the pipermail
    alias points to archives/public which contains symlinks into
    archives/private.

    As it says in the installation manual at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>, if you do "chmod o-x
    archives/private", you must also do "chown <web-server-user>
    archives/private" where <web-server-user> is the user your web server
    runs as.

    As far as your mailman list jumping back to the listinfo page is
    concerned, in a previous post in this thread I suggested you put

    RedirectMatch ^/mailman[/]*$ /mailman/listinfo

    in your httpd.conf. It appears that you have somewhere in httpd.conf or
    an included file (from httpd/conf.d/ ?)

    RedirectMatch /mailman[/]*$ /mailman/listinfo

    It needs to be anchored as the first one above (the "^"). Otherwise any
    URL that ends in "/mailman" or "/mailman/" will redirect to the
    listinfo page.

    <snip>
    Mark, thank you so far for all of your previous help, everything you
    have sent me has worked! This listserv is wonderful.

    Thanks for the appreciation. I'm glad to help, but I must point out
    that listserv(r) is a registered trademark that refers to a specific
    software product that is not Mailman. It is not a generic term for
    "email list" even though it is often misused that way. See
    <http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 22, '08 at 4:32p