I have followed the instructions to strip HTML messages, but there's
still an issue. Outlook users receive their footers as attachments.
This is not the case with webmail clients, like Google.

Is there a way to insure that the footer is included? I hate Outlook,
but there are many corporate types that are forced to use it.

My settings are (2.1.9.cp2): filter_content = yes, filter_mime_types =
empty, pass_mime_types = empty, filter_filename_extensions = (standard
list), pass_filename_extensions = empty, collapse_alternatives = no,
convert_html_to_plaintext = yes, filter_action = discard.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 22, 2008 at 2:51 pm

    John Whitney wrote:
    I have followed the instructions to strip HTML messages, but there's
    still an issue. Outlook users receive their footers as attachments.
    This is not the case with webmail clients, like Google.

    Is there a way to insure that the footer is included? I hate Outlook,
    but there are many corporate types that are forced to use it.

    My settings are (2.1.9.cp2): filter_content = yes, filter_mime_types =
    empty, pass_mime_types = empty, filter_filename_extensions = (standard
    list), pass_filename_extensions = empty, collapse_alternatives = no,
    convert_html_to_plaintext = yes, filter_action = discard.

    First of all, this is cPanel. It is known that cPanel has modifications
    that affect footers, so this is probably a cPanel issue that we can't
    resolve. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.

    Second, the content filtering settings you have make no sense. They say
    for example that a multipart/alternative message with a text/plain
    alternative and a text/html alternative will be converted to a
    multipart/alternative message with the original text/plain alternative
    and a second text/plain alternative converted from the text/html
    alternative.

    It would make much more sense to either set

    collapse_alternatives = yes

    or

    convert_html_to_plaintext = no

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 22, 2008 at 3:47 pm

    John Whitney wrote:
    My issues are not cPanel related. I think it's how Outlook processes
    MIME types in emails.

    Ultimately, the issue is how Outlook displays a mime multipart message,
    but what happens to the message when footers are added and exactly how
    footers are added and what the mime structure of the final message is
    are all issues in which cPanel Mailman behaves differently from GNU
    Mailman in at least some cases.

    I know from your posts that you hate html email,
    but my organizations sends-out multicolored calendar updates to our
    users that would otherwise be useless with rich text formatting.

    Thus, I'm simply trying to send my html emails thru Mailman with the
    personalized footer, all in the body. They come together in the body
    of the email with web-client email readers, like gMail, but not
    Outlook (where the footer looks like an attachment, i.e. ATT###.txt).

    They don't come together in the body, or they would render the same in
    all MUAs. The footer is being added as a separate mime text/plain part
    and some MUAs just go ahead and display it inline, but Outlook doesn't

    So basically, if I send html email and want a personalised text
    footer, I'm out of luck form some email clients. Yes?

    Have you tried just setting convert_html_to_plaintext to No. What
    cPanel does in this area that's different is attempt to add the footer
    directly to the html part. This may work with your mails, but it may
    not. See <http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?ta603>. You
    will need to register at the cPanel forums site to see that post.

    I can make further suggestions, but to do so, I would need to see a raw
    message as sent to the list and one as received from the list (I don't
    actually need the content, but I do need to see the mime structure of
    both messages.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 21, '08 at 8:40p
activeOct 22, '08 at 3:47p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts John Whitney: 1 post