If one has an existing mailing list with just email addresses,
is there any procedure available to bulk-update the list membership
with the subscribers' names (short of unsubscribing and re-subscribing
the list members)?

The "set" email command does not appear to have an option to
change the name field.

I'm looking for a procedure that does not require shell access on
the list sever, if possible.

Thanks.

Beau

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 8, 2008 at 3:04 am

    bjames at cisco.com wrote:
    If one has an existing mailing list with just email addresses,
    is there any procedure available to bulk-update the list membership
    with the subscribers' names (short of unsubscribing and re-subscribing
    the list members)?

    The "set" email command does not appear to have an option to
    change the name field.

    I'm looking for a procedure that does not require shell access on
    the list sever, if possible.

    The following script based on
    <http://starship.python.net/crew/jwt/mailman/unhide.py> will read a
    file (subscribers.txt) of list members, one per line, in the form

    Real Name <rn at example.com>
    "R. Name" <rn at example.net>
    etc.

    parse it into name and address and update the real name for address to
    name. It requires python on your work station and the obvious changes
    for listname, options_url and password.

    #!/usr/bin/env python
    import email
    import urllib

    listname = 'mylist'
    options_url = 'http://www.example.com/mailman/options/'
    password = 'listpassword'

    subscribers = open('subscribers.txt', 'rt')

    for subscriber in subscribers:
    name, addr = email.Utils.parseaddr(subscriber)
    if name and addr:
    params = urllib.urlencode({'password':password,
    'fullname':name,
    'change-of-address':1})
    u = urllib.urlopen('%s%s/%s' %
    (options_url, listname, urllib.quote(addr)),
    params)
    u.close()

    You could also do the same thing with, for example, a shell script and
    wget. This URL will change the real name for user at example.com to Real
    Name:

    http://www.example.com/mailman/options/mylist/user%40example.com?password=listpassword&fullname=Real%20Name&change-of-address=1

  • Barry Finkel at Oct 8, 2008 at 1:23 pm

    Beau (bjames at cisco.com) wrote:
    the list members)?

    The "set" email command does not appear to have an option to
    change the name field.

    I'm looking for a procedure that does not require shell access on
    the list sever, if possible.
    Will this work?

    1) Create a file that contains all of the subscribers with names:

    user at example.com (John Z. User)

    2) Run sync_members on the Mailman machine.

    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994
  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 8, 2008 at 2:50 pm

    Barry Finkel wrote:
    If one has an existing mailing list with just email addresses,
    is there any procedure available to bulk-update the list membership
    with the subscribers' names (short of unsubscribing and re-subscribing
    the list members)?

    The "set" email command does not appear to have an option to
    change the name field.

    I'm looking for a procedure that does not require shell access on
    the list sever, if possible.
    Will this work?

    1) Create a file that contains all of the subscribers with names:

    user at example.com (John Z. User)

    2) Run sync_members on the Mailman machine.

    No.

    sync_members makes no changes to an existing list member whose address
    is in the input.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 8, '08 at 2:22a