Why does "withlist -q test" say "The variable `m' is the test MailList
instance". Shouldn't -q suppress that message?

It's annoying because I run withlist stuff in cron and want it to run
silently unless there are errors. I realize I can:

2| fgrep -v 'the variable `m' is the'

or something, but that seems excessive.

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 8, 2008 at 4:15 am

    Kelly Jones wrote:
    Why does "withlist -q test" say "The variable `m' is the test MailList
    instance". Shouldn't -q suppress that message?

    Arguably it should, but no one anticipated you would want to supress
    the banner in interactive mode.

    It's annoying because I run withlist stuff in cron and want it to run
    silently unless there are errors. I realize I can:

    2| fgrep -v 'the variable `m' is the'

    or something, but that seems excessive.

    If withlist reads a script and is given -q and there are no
    warnings/errors, there will be no output.

    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -a -r no_op
    Importing no_op...
    Running no_op.no_op()...
    Finalizing
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -a -r no_op -q
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$

  • Bejong, Kay at Oct 8, 2008 at 12:37 pm
    Is there any way to get the whole membership of the list through the web
    interface?
    who want the feature through the web interface so they don't have to go
    through the whole alphabet.

    Thanks,
    Kay Bejong
  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 8, 2008 at 2:44 pm

    Bejong, Kay wrote:
    Is there any way to get the whole membership of the list through the web
    interface?

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9>.

  • Kelly Jones at Oct 11, 2008 at 5:19 pm
    Mark, according to "withlist --help":

    % bin/withlist [options] listname [args ...]

    which means the listname is required on the command line, no?

    How do I move the listname into a script instead?

    Why does "withlist -q test" say "The variable `m' is the test MailList
    instance". Shouldn't -q suppress that message?

    Arguably it should, but no one anticipated you would want to supress
    the banner in interactive mode.

    It's annoying because I run withlist stuff in cron and want it to run
    silently unless there are errors. I realize I can:

    2| fgrep -v 'the variable `m' is the'

    or something, but that seems excessive.

    If withlist reads a script and is given -q and there are no
    warnings/errors, there will be no output.

    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -a -r no_op
    Importing no_op...
    Running no_op.no_op()...
    Finalizing
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -a -r no_op -q
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 11, 2008 at 6:09 pm

    Kelly Jones wrote:
    Mark, according to "withlist --help":

    % bin/withlist [options] listname [args ...]

    which means the listname is required on the command line, no?

    True, but the latter explaination of the "--all / -a" option qualifies
    this

    How do I move the listname into a script instead?

    It is not the absence of listname that supresses the banner and makes
    withlist -q truly quiet. It is the presence of the "-r callable"
    option.

    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -r no_op list1
    Importing no_op...
    Running no_op.no_op()...
    Finalizing
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$ bin/withlist -r no_op -q list1
    [msapiro at msapiro ...f/test-mailman]$

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 8, '08 at 3:33a