Hi everyone,

As you would expect my first message here I have some questions about some
problems I have.

I set up a mailing list using the cPanel of my hosting provider, and I have
been trying to make a header text (msg_header) in the non-digest options.
However, no matter what I do, my test mails do not show the header.
I asked my hosting provider if there is some backend setting in the software
that needs to be changed, but got as a somewhat surprising reply that I
cannot use the non-digest options "since Mailman is part of Cpanel, which
comes already encrypted".
Considering that Mailman is GNU GPL I find it hard to believe that, so I am
trying to find out what to tell my provider to do exactly.
Browsing the internet has not helped me much. I noticed that there is
a OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION setting but I am not sure that setting
is needed for msg_header, nor am I sure where that sort of setting can be
changed.
So my first question is: how can I get that msg_header setting to work?

Secondly I have sent a few test messages to a few email addresses I have but
none appear in the archive, which is still completely empty aside from
column headings. The archive setting is on. What could I do to make the
archive work?

The third issue I have (probably I have more but am not aware of them yet!)
is that a response to a list message goed to the sender not to the list, but
the reply_goes_to_list setting is on list.

All in all I have the impression that virtually all but the most basic
functionality is disabled. My hosting is cheap (I am setting up for a
non-profit organisation so little choice!) and I suppose they want to save
system resources and avoid risks, but since I will have no more than 75
known subscribers I wonder if their underlying settings could be changed per
hosting account.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ewout

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Oct 3, 2008 at 7:32 am

    See <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+and+CPanel>.
    Considering that Mailman is GNU GPL I find it hard to believe that, so I am
    trying to find out what to tell my provider to do exactly.
    They hacked the code that we provided, and they haven't shared those
    changes with us. Therefore, we can't really tell you what they changed
    or why. If you have any problems with cPanel, you need to first go to
    your provider, who should be able to answer your questions. If not,
    then you should use the other cPanel resources, such as their forums and
    mailing lists.

    There's not likely to be much we can do to help.
    All in all I have the impression that virtually all but the most basic
    functionality is disabled.
    For all of the questions you have, you need intensive support by the
    people who run the systems. They're the only ones who have access to
    the log data you need, etc.... If they are not providing you the
    support you need, then your choices are fairly limited:

    1. Find another provider who will support you.

    2. Decide if you can live with the problems.
    My hosting is cheap (I am setting up for a
    non-profit organisation so little choice!) and I suppose they want to save
    system resources and avoid risks, but since I will have no more than 75
    known subscribers I wonder if their underlying settings could be changed per
    hosting account.
    There are inexpensive hosting providers who will actually provide
    support. Some of them even participate on this mailing list. I suggest
    you take a close look at them and decide whether it makes sense to
    switch to a different provider.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 2, '08 at 8:36a
activeOct 3, '08 at 7:32a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Ewout Wierda: 1 post Brad Knowles: 1 post