Please act on the following 2 points below as enhancements to MailMan.

These arise from my membership of the bazaar mailing list.
I am getting "Your membership in the mailing list bazaar has been
disabled due to excessive bounces" messages regularly (every week) now.
Curiously, up to the time of the excessive bounce message I don't miss
any emails that failed to arrive from the mailing list. I have spoken to
our sysadmin and he knows nothing about any bounces from our mail
server. It is very annoying as I don't know what I can do about it with
the information available to me. Furthermore I miss messages to the
mailing list between the time that the membership is disabled until the
time I can act upon the message. It also happened while I was on holiday
and my membership almost got deleted.

1) Can you adapt mailman to support first sending a warning and allow
the member a little time (e.g. a day) to react before the heavy-handed
action of disabling the membership?

2) Can you you adapt mailman to send an example of (at least the header
of) a bounced email with the message? Without this information I don't
know how I can stop them as I don't know what, who or where the bounce
is happening.

Thanks,
David

Search Discussions

  • Larry Stone at Sep 11, 2008 at 7:37 pm

[...]

    Mailman is customizable in that area (per list). By default, mailman will
    need to see bounces on a certain number of days within a certain longer
    period before it disables the account. For instance, if mailman is
    configured to disable on five bounces (counting a maximum of one per day)
    within 14 days, it will continue to send until the fifth day with a
    bounce. After 14 days go by without a bounce, the data is considered stale
    and you start over with zero bounces.

    It's possible the list admin set it to disable you after just one bounce.
    There are situations where this might be the desired behavior but those
    are generally pretty few and far between.

    Once the membership is disabled, the disabled reminders are sent out
    weekly for a user-configurable number of weeks after which the recipient
    is unsubscribed.

    Sending a warning makes no sense since if mail is bouncing, usually all
    mail to that user is bouncing and it the warning will bounce too.
    2) Can you you adapt mailman to send an example of (at least the header
    of) a bounced email with the message? Without this information I don't
    know how I can stop them as I don't know what, who or where the bounce
    is happening.
    That information is sent to the list owner. For my lists, almost always
    it's because the user abandoned the address and it went away.

    Your situation sounds like there is some issue between the list server and
    you that is causing an occassional message to be rejected with a permanent
    error. You said you're not missing any messages right up until the "you
    are disabled" message but how do you know for sure. The best thing would
    be to write to the list owner and ask him to forward the disabled message
    he receives (by default) the next time it happens.

    What could be causing the bounces is really not a Mailman issue but off
    the top of my head, possibilities are:
    1) a misconfigured mail server that is rejecting mail with a permanent
    error for what is a transient error
    2) mail being bounced by a spam filter
    3) Auto-replies from your mail program back to the sender
    I'm sure there are others. How well they'll be recognized by the mailman
    bounce processor partially depends on certain list configuration options.

    -- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 10, '08 at 5:30a
activeSep 11, '08 at 7:37p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

David Ingamells: 1 post Larry Stone: 1 post