I just installed Mailman on my Debian mail server and am following the
guide however I used my package installer to install Mailman. I did
not build from source. I am running v2.1.9-7 and it installed fine but
when I run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms -f, I get the following:

email:/usr/lib/mailman/bin# ./check_perms -f
/var/lib/mailman/mail bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/scripts bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/templates bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/pythonlib bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/cron bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/locks bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/icons bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/logs bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/Mailman bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
/var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
Problems found: 11
Re-run as list (or root) with -f flag to fix

I did create the mailman user and mailman group manually.

$ groupadd mailman
$ useradd -c "GNU Mailman" -s /bin/false -d /no/home -g mailman mailman

No matter how many times I run the "check_perms" script with the -f
flag, it will not fix the 11 issues. I have stopped and restarted
Mailman several times.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 12, 2008 at 7:27 pm

    Carlos Williams wrote:
[...]

    You're not doing anything wrong. This is your Debian package. I think
    what's happening is the above /var/lib/mailman/* entries are symlinks
    to the real directories. check_perms sees the group of the symlink is
    'root' and complains and tries to fix it, but the 'fix' sets the group
    of the target, not that of the symlink itself.

    If this is the case, you can safely ignore those check_perms 'errors'
    as they aren't really errors.

    I suppose check_perms could be fixed so that when it gets the mode and
    group of a path, it checks whether the path is a symlink and gets the
    mode and group of the symlink's (ultimate) target, but I'm not sure
    it's worth it to fix something which is really a packaging issue that
    should be covered in the packager's documentation.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 9, '08 at 6:51p
activeSep 12, '08 at 7:27p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Carlos Williams: 1 post