Hello,

I will move a few lists to mailman, from ecartis.
I want to retain message numbers, and continue current
sequence. So I need to start message number from a
non-zero number.

How can I do that ?

I am new to mailman. I can undump, config.pck, I can chnage
post-id. I do not know, how to put that fiile in pck format.

Secondly, I manage to change post-id, will it break anything
else ?

Regards
Mustafa Akgul

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Aug 30, 2008 at 8:09 pm

    I will move a few lists to mailman, from ecartis.
    I want to retain message numbers, and continue current
    sequence. So I need to start message number from a
    non-zero number.
    I think you're going to have to make changes in the source code to
    achieve these goals.

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 30, 2008 at 8:24 pm

    Mustafa Akgul wrote:
    I will move a few lists to mailman, from ecartis.
    I want to retain message numbers, and continue current
    sequence. So I need to start message number from a
    non-zero number.

    How can I do that ?

    I am new to mailman. I can undump, config.pck, I can chnage
    post-id. I do not know, how to put that fiile in pck format.

    Secondly, I manage to change post-id, will it break anything
    else ?

    You can change post_id (not post-id). It won't break anything.

    Two ways to set post_id are bin/withlist and bin/config_list. With
    either method, you need to set post_id to a floating point value.
    E.g., if you want to set it to 237, you need to set it to 237.0. This
    can be done by putting the single line

    mlist.post_id = 237.0

    in a file and running

    bin/config_list -i /path/to/file listname

    You can also set post_id in an interactive withlist session. E.g., for
    a list named test

    $ bin/withlist -l test
    The variable `m' is the test MailList instance
    m.post_id
    0.0
    m.post_id = 237.0
    m.post_id
    237.0
    m.Save()
    Unlocking (but not saving) list: test
    Finalizing
    $

    The last input following the m.Save() input is a control-D (end of
    file).

  • Mustafa Akgul at Aug 31, 2008 at 3:13 pm

    Mustafa Akgul wrote:
    I will move a few lists to mailman, from ecartis.
    I want to retain message numbers, and continue current
    sequence. So I need to start message number from a
    non-zero number.

    How can I do that ?

    I am new to mailman. I can undump, config.pck, I can chnage
    post-id. I do not know, how to put that fiile in pck format.

    Secondly, I manage to change post-id, will it break anything
    else ?

    You can change post_id (not post-id). It won't break anything.

    Two ways to set post_id are bin/withlist and bin/config_list. With
    either method, you need to set post_id to a floating point value.
    E.g., if you want to set it to 237, you need to set it to 237.0. This
    can be done by putting the single line

    mlist.post_id = 237.0

    in a file and running

    bin/config_list -i /path/to/file listname
    I have tried this method. It worked fine.

    Many thanks

    Mustafa Akgul
    You can also set post_id in an interactive withlist session. E.g., for
    a list named test

    $ bin/withlist -l test
    The variable `m' is the test MailList instance
    m.post_id
    0.0
    m.post_id = 237.0
    m.post_id
    237.0
    m.Save()
    Unlocking (but not saving) list: test
    Finalizing
    $

    The last input following the m.Save() input is a control-D (end of
    file).

  • Burcu İnci at Sep 1, 2008 at 11:35 am
    hi,

    i have a list about 36000 member in same domain.when i want to post an email
    and approve it there is not any problem in mailman server and gateways. but
    when it start to delivered to my sendmail server,my server load incresase so
    much and it stop to work properly.
    what can i do for this problem,i think about to slow down mailman's post,
    will it work?

    Thanks,

    Burcu ?nci
  • Zbigniew Szalbot at Sep 1, 2008 at 11:44 am
    Hi,

    Burcu ?nci:
    hi,

    i have a list about 36000 member in same domain.when i want to post an email
    and approve it there is not any problem in mailman server and gateways. but
    when it start to delivered to my sendmail server,my server load incresase so
    much and it stop to work properly.
    what can i do for this problem,i think about to slow down mailman's post,
    will it work?
    Have you tried setting SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION in mm_cfg.py and
    restarting Mailman?

    Reading Defaults.py is highly recommended as it contains a wealth of
    settings to tweak Mailman.

    Thanks!

    --
    Zbigniew Szalbot
    www.LCWords.com

    The best way I have found to throttle the number of messages coming out of
    mailman is to use something like the QOS service found in Shorewall.

    This allows you to control how much of the available bandwidth is used going
    out of your server + prioritise SMTP with other protocols.

    Regards
    James.

    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/james%40thereidsonline.
    com

  • Zbigniew Szalbot at Sep 1, 2008 at 12:07 pm
    Hi,

    James Reid:
    The best way I have found to throttle the number of messages coming
    out of mailman is to use something like the QOS service found in
    Shorewall.

    This allows you to control how much of the available bandwidth is
    used going out of your server + prioritise SMTP with other protocols.
    But he was referring to his server load increasing so much that it
    ceases to operate in a stable manner, which throttling bandwidth won't
    help, or will it?

    --
    Zbigniew Szalbot
    www.LCWords.com

    Burcu ?NC?
    The best way I have found to throttle the number of messages coming
    out of mailman is to use something like the QOS service found in
    Shorewall.

    This allows you to control how much of the available bandwidth is
    used going out of your server + prioritise SMTP with other protocols.
    But he was referring to his server load increasing so much that it
    ceases to operate in a stable manner, which throttling bandwidth won't
    help, or will it?

    --
    Zbigniew Szalbot
    www.LCWords.com
  • James Reid at Sep 1, 2008 at 12:16 pm
    I think you could set things up so that mailman talks to sendmail / postfix
    via tcp, which could then be throttled using shorewall

    The best way I have found to throttle the number of messages coming
    out of mailman is to use something like the QOS service found in
    Shorewall.

    This allows you to control how much of the available bandwidth is
    used going out of your server + prioritise SMTP with other protocols.
    But he was referring to his server load increasing so much that it
    ceases to operate in a stable manner, which throttling bandwidth won't
    help, or will it?

    --
    Zbigniew Szalbot
    www.LCWords.com
  • Brad Knowles at Sep 2, 2008 at 6:00 am