Dear mailman guys,

I'm installing mailman on a dedicated server with debian, when trying to integrate mailman with postfix by changing the mm_cfg.py and un-commenting the MTA line:

#-------------------------------------------------------------# Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains, but be sure to# read /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.POSTFIX first. MTA='Postfix'

it gives me the followng error when I try to do anything, for example creating a new list:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "./newlist", line 103, in ? from Mailman import mm_cfg File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py", line 94 MTA=Postfix ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax

What should I do ??

Thanks a million ..
Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yahoo_082008

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 16, 2008 at 1:56 am

    Khalil Abbas wrote:
    I'm installing mailman on a dedicated server with debian, when trying to integrate mailman with postfix by changing the mm_cfg.py and un-commenting the MTA line:

    #-------------------------------------------------------------# Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains, but be sure to# read /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.POSTFIX first. MTA='Postfix'

    it gives me the followng error when I try to do anything, for example creating a new list:

    Traceback (most recent call last): File "./newlist", line 103, in ? from Mailman import mm_cfg File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py", line 94 MTA=Postfix ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    Do you see the difference between what you quote above and what's in
    the traceback?

    What you need in mm_cfg.py is

    MTA = 'Postfix'

    The spaces around the = are optional but the quotes are mandatory and
    MTA must not be indented at all.

    Also, I know that it's really hotmail that's at fault, but it would
    help us if code and tracebacks weren't run together without line
    breaks. Try composuing in plain text. (sorry for the rant, this
    hotmail issue is a sore point with me)

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 16, 2008 at 3:29 am

    Khalil Abbas wrote:
    sorry for the inconvenience..

    the problem was that there's a space before MTA : " MTA=" not "MTA="

    but I still can't access the mailman web interface although I did the following :

    Noe of what you list below has anything to do with being able to access
    the web interface.

    1. I added the following line to mm_cfg.py :

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['my.domain1.com']
    (my.domain1.com is my registered domain name)

    2. newlist list_name at my.domain1.com, and answered the questions.

    3. I ran the following command:
    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases

    4. when I try to run the following commands :

    /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

    and

    /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

    I get the following errors :

    -bash: /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases: Permission denied

    and :

    -bash: /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman: Permission denied

    what to do about that?

    Those are not commands. They are data files which is why you can't
    execute them. What are you trying to accomplish?

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 16, 2008 at 2:58 pm
    Copying the list

    Khalil Abbas wrote:
    I'm trying to install mailman in debian and following step by step instructions in debian help website at this address :

    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mailman.htm

    My problem is that I followed the instructions step by step but can't access the web interface although I tried all forms of possible url's :

    www.mydomain.com/mailman/create
    www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/create
    www.mydomain.com/mailman/admin/list
    www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list
    ....etc ..

    I'm going nuts, I've been suffering for 2 weeks trying to install mailman and reading through manuals and FAQ's and each time I get stuck in something ..

    You are installing a Debian package. The people on this list are most
    familiar with installation of GNU Mailman from our source distribution.

    You might get better answers from Debian support resources.

    However, the instructions at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mailman.htm
    say "Mailman will integrate itself into your webserver if you're
    running Apache or Apache2". This implies that the package creates a
    file included in the apache configuration. Perhaps something like
    /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman. What's in that file? And, have you reloaded
    or restarted httpd since you installed Mailman.

    Please reply on the list. Every time you reply off list to me, the
    thread gets broken in the archive which makes it that much harder for
    the next person to find any resolution.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 16, '08 at 1:40a
activeAug 16, '08 at 2:58p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 3 posts Khalil Abbas: 1 post