FAQ
Hello, we have installed "Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager" version
2.1.5

Is it possible to know if mailing list's members e-mail addresses are
correct?

Sending e-mail to a mailing list with wrong e-mail address of some member,
no error notification is sent to mailing list administrator or to sender.

Thanks.

Marco De Rossi

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 6, 2008 at 3:01 pm

    Marco De Rossi wrote:
    Hello, we have installed "Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager" version
    2.1.5

    The current release is 2.1.11

    Is it possible to know if mailing list's members e-mail addresses are
    correct?

    Sending e-mail to a mailing list with wrong e-mail address of some member,
    no error notification is sent to mailing list administrator or to sender.

    If you go to a list's admin interface Bounce processing page, you will
    see a description of Mailman's bounce processing. Make sure that
    bounce_processing and all the notifications are set to Yes.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Marco De Rossi at Aug 7, 2008 at 11:54 am
    Thank you for the answer, all the notifications are set to Yes, but no
    error notification is sent to mailing list administrator or to sender.

    Marco De Rossi

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Marco De Rossi wrote:
    Hello, we have installed "Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager" version
    2.1.5

    The current release is 2.1.11

    Is it possible to know if mailing list's members e-mail addresses are
    correct?

    Sending e-mail to a mailing list with wrong e-mail address of some member,
    no error notification is sent to mailing list administrator or to sender.

    If you go to a list's admin interface Bounce processing page, you will
    see a description of Mailman's bounce processing. Make sure that
    bounce_processing and all the notifications are set to Yes.
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 7, 2008 at 4:08 pm

    Marco De Rossi wrote:
    Thank you for the answer, all the notifications are set to Yes, but no
    error notification is sent to mailing list administrator or to sender.

    The sender should never receive a bounce. The sender doesn't control
    the list membership and can't do anything about a bounce anyway. Only
    a badly broken MTA will return a bounce to the sender. Bounces should
    be returned to the envelope sender which is the listname-bounces at ...
    address.

    In the normal case of a bounce being returned to Mailman and 'scored',
    no notice is sent. A notice is sent only if the bounce is not one
    Mailman can parse or if it results in the member's delivery being
    disabled.

    If you have access to Mailman's logs, look at the bounce log. It will
    tell you which members have bounced. In any case, make sure the
    listname-bounces at ... address is delivered to Mailman. If you send an
    ordinary email to listname-bounces at ... you should receive an
    unrecognized bounce notification containing that message. If not,
    something is wrong with your list mail delivery (aliases, MTA).

    Finally, you need to make sure that bounce_score_threshold and
    bounce_info_stale_after are set appropriately for the frequency of
    list posts. bounce_info_stale_after needs to be at least as many days
    as the maximum number of days between posts, otherwise you will lose
    good bounce information as stale. Also, for lists with less than daily
    activity, bounce_score_threshold should probably be less than the
    default 5.0.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 6, '08 at 2:43p
activeAug 7, '08 at 4:08p
posts4
users2
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Marco De Rossi: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase