I'm looking to replace an ezmlm server with mailman and have installed mailman 2.1.9-7 on a debian server; lists work but I have a question:

Is there an easy way to rewrite the From: address field? I have a list that is used as announce-only and would like it to appear to come from a non-list address (e.g., list is jobs at lists.domain.tld and I would like the email to appear as from jobs at domain.tld). Reply-To: is good, but not what I'm looking for. The ezmlm analogue is creating a list using the -3 switch to rewrite the address.

I have googled, gone through the archives and FAQ and cannot find this info (perhaps I'm not searching for the right terms?) Any help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 28, 2008 at 2:45 pm

    David Piniella wrote:
    I'm looking to replace an ezmlm server with mailman and have installed mailman 2.1.9-7 on a debian server; lists work but I have a question:

    Is there an easy way to rewrite the From: address field? I have a list that is used as announce-only and would like it to appear to come from a non-list address (e.g., list is jobs at lists.domain.tld and I would like the email to appear as from jobs at domain.tld). Reply-To: is good, but not what I'm looking for. The ezmlm analogue is creating a list using the -3 switch to rewrite the address.

    I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want to know how to put the
    list address in From:, set General Options->anonymous_list to Yes.

    If you want to know how to change the domain of this address, put the
    desired domain in General Options->host_name.

  • David Piniella at Jul 28, 2008 at 3:02 pm
    Thanks for your reply, sorry if I was not clear, I'm specifically trying to not have the list address in the from address, nor the original sender's address
    say my list is party-news at lists.sample.org and the mail comes from user sam at lists.sample.org, i'd like the From: field to be "Party News <partynews at sample.org>" instead of the list address or sam at lists.sample.org.

    I tried anonymous_list, but that's not what I'm looking for.

    I'm looking to replace an ezmlm server with mailman and have installed mailman 2.1.9-7 on a debian server; lists work but I have a question:

    Is there an easy way to rewrite the From: address field? I have a list that is used as announce-only and would like it to appear to come from a non-list address (e.g., list is jobs at lists.domain.tld and I would like the email to appear as from jobs at domain.tld). Reply-To: is good, but not what I'm looking for. The ezmlm analogue is creating a list using the -3 switch to rewrite the address.

    I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want to know how to put the
    list address in From:, set General Options->anonymous_list to Yes.

    If you want to know how to change the domain of this address, put the
    desired domain in General Options->host_name.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 29, 2008 at 12:49 am

    David Piniella wrote:
    ... i'd like the From: field to be "Party News <partynews at sample.org>" instead of the list address or sam at lists.sample.org.

    Without modifying existing handlers or creating a custom handler
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>, those are your only two options within
    Mailman.

  • Brad Knowles at Jul 28, 2008 at 4:06 pm

    David Piniella wrote:

    Is there an easy way to rewrite the From: address field? I have a list
    that is used as announce-only and would like it to appear to come from a
    non-list address (e.g., list is jobs at lists.domain.tld and I would like
    the email to appear as from jobs at domain.tld). Reply-To: is good, but not
    what I'm looking for. The ezmlm analogue is creating a list using the -3
    switch to rewrite the address.
    Sorry, I don't know ezmlm, and I don't know that anyone here does.

    However, header rewrites of the sort you're talking about would seem to be
    more appropriate to be done in the MTA, not the mailing list manager.

    In Sendmail, postfix, or Exim, it should be pretty easy to make these kinds
    of changes by changing your "masquerade" database to rewrite these kinds of
    addresses.

    I have no idea how this concept might be applied to your MTA, however.

  • David Piniella at Jul 28, 2008 at 5:22 pm
    I mentioned ezmlm because I know how to do it there and figured that it might make what I wanted to do clearer. I'm using postfix on that box I think, I'll look into doing it via the MTA instead of the list software, thanks!

    Is there an easy way to rewrite the From: address field? I have a list
    that is used as announce-only and would like it to appear to come from a
    non-list address (e.g., list is jobs at lists.domain.tld and I would like
    the email to appear as from jobs at domain.tld). Reply-To: is good, but not
    what I'm looking for. The ezmlm analogue is creating a list using the -3
    switch to rewrite the address.
    Sorry, I don't know ezmlm, and I don't know that anyone here does.

    However, header rewrites of the sort you're talking about would seem to be
    more appropriate to be done in the MTA, not the mailing list manager.

    In Sendmail, postfix, or Exim, it should be pretty easy to make these kinds
    of changes by changing your "masquerade" database to rewrite these kinds of
    addresses.

    I have no idea how this concept might be applied to your MTA, however.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 28, '08 at 2:28p
activeJul 29, '08 at 12:49a