Hi all,

We "private" archive all our lists - and its come a time where we need to free space up on the volume that its archiving to..
My Question is, We've identified which lists we are able to purge archives from - and was just wondering whats the correct way to go about removing them from the system?
We have about 10 lists that have approx1.5-3gig in their listname folder/associated .mbox file

Cheers
Spyro

________________________________

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 21, 2008 at 5:25 pm

    Spyro Polymiadis wrote:
    We "private" archive all our lists - and its come a time where we
    need to free space up on the volume that its archiving to.. My
    Question is, We've identified which lists we are able to purge
    archives from - and was just wondering whats the correct way to go
    about removing them from the system? We have about 10 lists that have
    approx1.5-3gig in their listname folder/associated .mbox file

    The answer depends on whether you want to delete the entire archive or
    just some of it, and if just some, whether you want to preserve the URLs
    of the remaining messages.

    If you want to delete the entire archive, or you don't care about
    preserving URLs, the easiest way is to edit the
    archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file to remove the messages
    you don't want and then run 'bin/arch --wipe listname' to remove the
    pipermail archive and rebuild it with only the messages (if any)
    remaining in the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file.

    If you want to clear the pipermail archive, but keep all the messages in
    the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file, you can run
    'bin/arch --wipe listname /dev/null'.

    If you just want to prune the pipermail archive, you can remove the
    periodic directories and .txt and .txt.gz files you don't want from
    archives/private/listname/, but this leaves broken links in the
    archives/private/listname/index.html file. You can edit them out, but
    they will return when the index is rebuilt.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 21, '08 at 5:35a
activeJul 21, '08 at 5:25p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Spyro Polymiadis: 1 post