I migrated my mailman installation to a new server. I had some initial
teething trouble updating the list URLs but that's taken care of.

All my lists work with regards to the web interface, adding/removing
members and sending posts to the list.

What does not work, however, is admin emails. Messages regarding
pending subscription requests, posts needing moderator approval etc,
they never even make it to postfix. The mailman smtp log doesn't show
anything other than list posts. The error log has no entries in the
past week, so nothing useful there that I can see.

/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py contains:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.mydomain.com'
MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
SMTPPORT = '25'

I don't see any problems there.

Can anyone suggest any other reason that might be stopping my admin
messages from sending?

Thanks,

Russell

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 21, 2008 at 5:03 pm

    Russell Horn wrote:
    What does not work, however, is admin emails. Messages regarding
    pending subscription requests, posts needing moderator approval etc,
    they never even make it to postfix. The mailman smtp log doesn't show
    anything other than list posts. The error log has no entries in the
    past week, so nothing useful there that I can see.

    /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py contains:

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.mydomain.com'

    This probably has nothing to do with it, but if the above setting for
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is different from the one in Defaults.py, you should add

    to override the entry from Defaults.py

    MTA = 'Postfix'

    The next five settings are all equivalent to the defaults. It's OK to
    have them in mm_cfg.py for documentation, but they aren't needed.

    POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
    POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
    SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
    SMTPPORT = '25'

    I don't see any problems there.

    Can anyone suggest any other reason that might be stopping my admin
    messages from sending?

    What happens if you mail directly to the listname-owner address?

    Do other Mailman generated notices get delivered - e.g. a subscription
    confirmation or a list welcome message?

  • Russell Horn at Jul 21, 2008 at 5:19 pm

    This probably has nothing to do with it, but if the above setting for
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is different from the one in Defaults.py, you should add

    Updated that and restarted but no change.
    What happens if you mail directly to the listname-owner address?
    That mail gets delivered normally. So aliases and postfix both seem okay.
    Do other Mailman generated notices get delivered - e.g. a subscription
    confirmation or a list welcome message?
    Nope - anything that seems to be generated by mailman, other than the
    list posts themselves, seems to vanish.

    Thanks for your suggestions,

    Russell.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 21, 2008 at 5:28 pm