I'm running Mailman 2.1.9 on Solaris 10. Sometime this weekend we had a
mail loop which pounded our list server. The mail loop has been fixed
but there is a python process that is consuming an entire cpu. Further
inspection of this process reveals:

qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s

I'm assuming that ArchRunner is a process that archives incoming
messages and that mailman is in the process of archiving all those
thousands of messages that were received due to the mail loop.

I've been searching the mailman site and also googling to find a way to
discard all those bogus messages. I'm getting pressure to fix this
fast because people cannot log in to the web interface because the
server is pegged due to this process.

So, 1) I'd like to know if I'm going down the right path assuming
mailman is busy archiving all those messages and 2) How can I get it to
stop?

I'm going to log into the web interface even though it will forever to
get the page to come up and I will try disabling archiving fir the
affected list. Not sure if that will stop the archiving that is already
happening or not but I'm going to give it a try.

--
Andy

Search Discussions

  • Dragon at Jul 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

    Andy Cravens wrote:
[...]

    I'd suggest killing the archive runner process. And then disabling
    archiving in the web interface. Then you can go in and remove the
    offending files from qfiles/archive (though exactly what needs to be
    done there I am not certain).

    You probably also want to remove the offending messages from the mbox
    files for the lists and then rebuild the archives without them,
    though there are issues with possibly breaking links to messages in
    the archives.

    Once you have things cleaned up, you can restart mailman and
    re-enable archiving.

    Dragon

  • Andy Cravens at Jul 14, 2008 at 4:50 pm

    Dragon wrote:
    Andy Cravens wrote:
[...]

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/acravens%40uen.org

    Problem solved. I already killed that qrunner process so that I could
    edit the archive options via the web interface. The key was deleting
    the 25,000 files from qfiles/archive. and then restarting mailman. I
    probably deleted some other legit archives to other lists in the process
    but at least we're back up. Probably should have done a selective
    delete by grepping for the list name within the file but oh well...

    Thanks for pointing me to qfiles/archive. I learned something.

    --
    Andy

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython