I have an issue I am having difficulty tracking down.

I have two users, one of whom is my boss, whose messages are not showing
up on the list. Instead, I get an "uncaught bounce notification" with
the message attached in my mailman_admin box.

The error text reads:
The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all unrecognized
bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

Both are members of the list in question, the memberships are not
disabled.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking?

Bill

Search Discussions

  • Terri Oda at Jul 10, 2008 at 4:59 pm

    Are they, perchance, sending to LISTNAME-bounces at yourdomain.com
    instead of LISTNAME at yourdomain.com?

    Some mail clients seem to pick up the wrong address if you hit reply/
    reply-all to an existing message, and anything that goes to -bounces
    is treated as a bounce.

    Get them to specifically type in LISTNAME at yourdomain.com next time
    rather than hitting reply and see if that's the problem.

    Terri
  • Dragon at Jul 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm

    McNutt Jr, William R wrote:
    I have an issue I am having difficulty tracking down.

    I have two users, one of whom is my boss, whose messages are not showing
    up on the list. Instead, I get an "uncaught bounce notification" with
    the message attached in my mailman_admin box.

    The error text reads:
    The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
    format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
    from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all unrecognized
    bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

    Both are members of the list in question, the memberships are not
    disabled.

    Can anyone tell me where I should be looking?

    I have found that some users for reasons unknown (maybe a
    brain-damaged MUA?) send to the bounce address and not the list address.

    Make sure they are posting to the list address and not mistakenly
    trying to post using the bounce address.

    Dragon

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 10, '08 at 4:36p