FAQ
Hi folks,

I just moved my Mailman/Apache/Postfix server to a new hard drive,
and in the process managed to make the public archives inaccessible.
Private archives work fine, as does everything else as far as I can
tell.

I suspect that the problem has to do with my renaming the root hard
drive (though of course the paths would typically still be
/usr/local/mailman/ which accounts for most everything still working).

I've tried switching to private archives and back again in the hope
of building a new working symlink, but there's no difference. I made
no changes to the Apache config file, and all the paths and rules
there look like they should work.

Any ideas where else I should search for a fix?


--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

Green Building Professionals Directory: <http://directory.greenbuilder.com>
Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/calendar/>
Green Real Estate: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/realestate/>
Straw Bale Registry: <http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com/>
Books/videos/software: <http://bookstore.greenbuilder.com/>

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 5, 2008 at 1:59 am

    Bill Christensen wrote:
    I just moved my Mailman/Apache/Postfix server to a new hard drive,
    and in the process managed to make the public archives inaccessible.
    Private archives work fine, as does everything else as far as I can
    tell.

    I suspect that the problem has to do with my renaming the root hard
    drive (though of course the paths would typically still be
    /usr/local/mailman/ which accounts for most everything still working).

    I've tried switching to private archives and back again in the hope
    of building a new working symlink, but there's no difference. I made
    no changes to the Apache config file, and all the paths and rules
    there look like they should work.

    Any ideas where else I should search for a fix?

    What does Apache say when you try to access a public archive? What's in
    Apache's error log?

    Is SELinux or some other security policy management involved?

    What are the ownership and permissions of
    /usr/local/mailman/archives/private ? In particular, is it either
    owned by the apache user or o+x ?

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Bill Christensen at Jul 5, 2008 at 8:29 am

    At 6:59 PM -0700 7/4/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Bill Christensen wrote:
    I just moved my Mailman/Apache/Postfix server to a new hard drive,
    and in the process managed to make the public archives inaccessible.
    Private archives work fine, as does everything else as far as I can
    tell.

    I suspect that the problem has to do with my renaming the root hard
    drive (though of course the paths would typically still be
    /usr/local/mailman/ which accounts for most everything still working).

    I've tried switching to private archives and back again in the hope
    of building a new working symlink, but there's no difference. I made
    no changes to the Apache config file, and all the paths and rules
    there look like they should work.

    Any ideas where else I should search for a fix?

    What does Apache say when you try to access a public archive? What's in
    Apache's error log?
    Symbolic link not allowed.
    Is SELinux or some other security policy management involved? nope.
    What are the ownership and permissions of
    /usr/local/mailman/archives/private ? In particular, is it either
    owned by the apache user or o+x ?

    they were were

    drwxrws--- nobody mailman private
    drwxrwsr-x billc mailman public

    I looked on the old hd and found them set as

    drwxrwx--- billc mailman private
    drwxrwxr-x billc mailman public

    I tried a perms fix, but that didn't do the trick.

    So I tried changing them to that. Bad idea, now I'm getting a "we've
    hit a bug in mailman 2.1.9..." message when logging in to the web
    interface. I tried another perms fix, and the symptoms are
    unchanged.

    Help, Mr Wizard! I have no idea how to set an "rws" to get it back
    to broken but generally functional.


    --
    Bill Christensen
    <http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

    Green Building Professionals Directory: <http://directory.greenbuilder.com>
    Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/calendar/>
    Green Real Estate: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/realestate/>
    Straw Bale Registry: <http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com/>
    Books/videos/software: <http://bookstore.greenbuilder.com/>
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 5, 2008 at 2:24 pm

    Bill Christensen wrote:
    At 6:59 PM -0700 7/4/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    What does Apache say when you try to access a public archive? What's in
    Apache's error log?
    Symbolic link not allowed.

    This says you need

    Options +FollowSymLinks

    in a

    <Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives/public>

    or superordinate block.

    What are the ownership and permissions of
    /usr/local/mailman/archives/private ? In particular, is it either
    owned by the apache user or o+x ?

    they were were

    drwxrws--- nobody mailman private
    drwxrwsr-x billc mailman public

    I looked on the old hd and found them set as

    drwxrwx--- billc mailman private
    drwxrwxr-x billc mailman public

    I tried a perms fix, but that didn't do the trick.
    Permissions and ownership should be as in the first set, assuming
    Apache runs as user 'nobody'.

    So I tried changing them to that. Bad idea, now I'm getting a "we've
    hit a bug in mailman 2.1.9..." message when logging in to the web
    interface. I tried another perms fix, and the symptoms are
    unchanged.

    Help, Mr Wizard! I have no idea how to set an "rws" to get it back
    to broken but generally functional.

    chmod g+s will do it, but just to make sure everything is right, do it
    this way:

    chmod 2770 /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    chown nobody:mailman /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    chmod 2775 /usr/local/mailman/archives/public

    Then put the Options +FollowSymLinks in an appropriate Directory block
    in the Apache config.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Bill Christensen at Jul 5, 2008 at 5:26 pm
    Thanks. That and fixing a missing symlink did the trick.
    At 7:24 AM -0700 7/5/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:



    chmod g+s will do it, but just to make sure everything is right, do it
    this way:

    chmod 2770 /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    chown nobody:mailman /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
    chmod 2775 /usr/local/mailman/archives/public

    Then put the Options +FollowSymLinks in an appropriate Directory block
    in the Apache config.
    --
    Bill Christensen
    <http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

    Green Building Professionals Directory: <http://directory.greenbuilder.com>
    Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/calendar/>
    Green Real Estate: <http://www.greenbuilder.com/realestate/>
    Straw Bale Registry: <http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com/>
    Books/videos/software: <http://bookstore.greenbuilder.com/>

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 5, '08 at 1:06a
activeJul 5, '08 at 5:26p
posts5
users2
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Bill Christensen: 3 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase