I am running a genealogy web site. My host uses CPanel, and with it came
Mailman. I am a subscriber to many lists using Mailman.

One of my subscribers is using Microsoft Office Outlook. Her X-Mailer line is

Her messages come in a text par and a HTML part. They all come to me as
uncaught bounces with the advice:

"The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
from it. ?This mailing list has been configured to send all
unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s)."

The mention of being unable to extract the address seems strange, but it still
doesn't give me the reason for the bounce. I changed my config by activating
content filtering with the default settings, then asked her to re-send. It
made no difference.

I know that this lady subscribes to several mailing lists hosted by
RootsWeb.com, but I believe that Rootsweb uses a different mailer. Two other
subscriber have posted successfully, one using hotmail. The other uses Yahoo
Webmail.

I am probably not giving enough info. Please let me know what you need.

Doug.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 30, 2008 at 3:05 am

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    One of my subscribers is using Microsoft Office Outlook. Her X-Mailer line is

    Her messages come in a text par and a HTML part. They all come to me as
    uncaught bounces with the advice:

    Because she is posting to listname-bounces at example.com instead of
    listname at example.com.

    This probably has something to do with <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.

  • Doug Laidlaw at Jun 30, 2008 at 3:53 am

    One of my subscribers is using Microsoft Office Outlook. Her X-Mailer
    line is

    Her messages come in a text par and a HTML part. They all come to me as
    uncaught bounces with the advice:
    Because she is posting to listname-bounces at example.com instead of
    listname at example.com.

    This probably has something to do with <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.
    Thank you. You were quite right. But the referenced link seems to deal with
    what she sees on her screen, not with what she sends?

    Doug.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 30, 2008 at 4:26 am