I followed the FAQ? and sent a `who ?password?` to my old list (where
I am administrator). This scheme had the following problems:

1. All user settings are lost (digest, no email, etc.).
2. It does not return subscribers with concealed identity (hide).
3. User names with accents came through mangled.

I expected #1 but not #2 (as I can see these users in the web UI with
my admin passwords).

To solve #3 I had to set my old list to Serbian. This changed encoding
from us-ascii to utf-8 and caused the user names to be emailed without
the mangling.

I suggest updating the FAQ and/or improve the `who` command to return
concealed users to the list administrator. Would also be nice if the
mass subscribe could optionally take per user settings and `who` would
return these.

? http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#3.4

Using Mailman 2.1.9 (Ubuntu installation).

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Jun 17, 2008 at 3:59 am

    I followed the FAQ' and sent a `who ?password?` to my old list (where I
    am administrator). This scheme had the following problems:

    1. All user settings are lost (digest, no email, etc.).
    2. It does not return subscribers with concealed identity (hide).
    3. User names with accents came through mangled.
    It also does not get any of the users who have
    set themselves to be invisible to everyone else.

    If you want to properly move a list from one
    machine to another, you need to use a different
    mechanism. See FAQ 3.4 at
    <http://tinyurl.com/5v8xyv>.
    I suggest updating the FAQ and/or improve the `who` command to return
    concealed users to the list administrator. Would also be nice if the
    mass subscribe could optionally take per user settings and `who` would
    return these.
    These issues are dealt with when the proper methods are used to move a list.
    ' http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#3.4
    We're not using this anymore. See
    <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions>
    instead.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 17, 2008 at 4:27 pm

    Allan Odgaard wrote:
    I suggest updating the FAQ and/or improve the `who` command to return
    concealed users to the list administrator.

    It does since Mailman 2.1.10.

    See FAQ 3.62 at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9> which says in part "The
    above two methods [who command and list roster] have the drawback that
    'hidden' members (those who have opted to be excluded from those
    lists) are not shown (this drawback will be removed in Mailman 2.1.10
    for those who authorize with a list admin/moderator password)."

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 17, '08 at 2:49a
activeJun 17, '08 at 4:27p