Good morning,
Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a champ then suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent reason.
It is failing to start reporting "no local interface found for..." and citing some IP address which is invalid for my system. I have not been able to get anywhere since Wednesday night and am now considering uninstalling Postfix and then reinstalling.
I realize this is a Postfix issue, but I wanted to ask what are the consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then reinstalling as it relates to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my existing Mailman installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.
Thanks!
Dov

Search Discussions

  • Charles Marcus at May 30, 2008 at 11:44 am

    Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a champ then
    suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent reason. It is
    failing to start reporting "no local interface found for..."
    Sounds like you have a problem with your NIC...
    citing some IP address which is invalid for my system. I have not
    been able to get anywhere since Wednesday night and am now
    considering uninstalling Postfix and then reinstalling.
    What have you done to try to remedy the situation? I am on the postfix
    list, and have not seen a single message from you about the problem.
    They are very knowledgeable people there - but you will need to be very
    specific with your problem description, and provide postconf -n output
    and logs of the errors...
    I realize this is a Postfix issue, but I wanted to ask what are the
    consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then reinstalling as it relates
    to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my existing Mailman
    installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.
    Reinstalling would be silly at this point. Fix the problem. From your
    vague description, it sounds like a hardware problem.

    Things never break 'for no reason'...

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles
  • Dov Oxenberg at May 30, 2008 at 11:57 am
    Hi Charles,
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    The reason my description is "vague" is because I was reluctant to post details of a Postfix problem to the Mailman list.
    Mailman is running fine...I can log in to the Web interface, manage my list, users etc., and obviously Apache is running as well.
    I looked on postfix.org but did not see anything regarding a mailing list.
    Would you please be so kind as to provide a link or address where I can subscribe?
    Regards,
    Dov

    Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:44:13 -0400> From: CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> To: mailman-users at python.org> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] re-install postfix?> > On 5/30/2008 7:32 AM, Dov Oxenberg wrote:> > Good morning,> > Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a champ then> > suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent reason. It is> > failing to start reporting "no local interface found for..."> > Sounds like you have a problem with your NIC...> > > citing some IP address which is invalid for my system. I have not> > been able to get anywhere since Wednesday night and am now> > considering uninstalling Postfix and then reinstalling.> > What have you done to try to remedy the situation? I am on the postfix > list, and have not seen a single message from you about the problem. > They are very knowledgeable people there - but you will need to be very > specific with your problem description, and provide postconf -n output > and logs of the errors...> > > I realize this is a Postfix issue, but I wanted to ask what are the> > consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then reinstalling as it relates> > to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my existing Mailman> > installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.> > Reinstalling would be silly at this point. Fix the problem. From your > vague description, it sounds like a hardware problem.> > Things never break 'for no reason'...> > -- > > Best regards,> > Charles> ------------------------------------------------------> Mailman-Users mailing list> Mailman-Users at python.org> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/> Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/boxenberg%40hotmail.com> > Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp
  • Dov Oxenberg at May 30, 2008 at 12:04 pm
    Never mind, I found it.
    Please forgive the faux pas.
    Dov

    From: boxenberg at hotmail.com> To: cmarcus at media-brokers.com; mailman-users at python.org> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:57:27 -0400> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] re-install postfix?> > Hi Charles,> Thanks for your prompt reply.> The reason my description is "vague" is because I was reluctant to post details of a Postfix problem to the Mailman list.> Mailman is running fine...I can log in to the Web interface, manage my list, users etc., and obviously Apache is running as well.> I looked on postfix.org but did not see anything regarding a mailing list.> Would you please be so kind as to provide a link or address where I can subscribe?> Regards,> Dov> > > > > Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:44:13 -0400> From: CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> To: mailman-users at python.org> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] re-install postfix?> > On 5/30/2008 7:32 AM, Dov Oxenberg wrote:> > Good morning,> > Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a champ then> > suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent reason. It is> > failing to start reporting "no local interface found for..."> > Sounds like you have a problem with your NIC...> > > citing some IP address which is invalid for my system. I have not> > been able to get anywhere since Wednesday night and am now> > considering uninstalling Postfix and then reinstalling.> > What have you done to try to remedy the situation? I am on the postfix > list, and have not seen a single message from you about the problem. > They are very knowledgeable people there - but you will need to be very > specific with your problem description, and provide postconf -n output > and logs of the errors...> > > I real!> ize this is a Postfix issue, but I wanted to ask what are the> > consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then reinstalling as it relates> > to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my existing Mailman> > installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.> > Reinstalling would be silly at this point. Fix the problem. From your > vague description, it sounds like a hardware problem.> > Things never break 'for no reason'...> > -- > > Best regards,> > Charles> ------------------------------------------------------> Mailman-Users mailing list> Mailman-Users at python.org> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/> Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/boxenberg%40hotmail.com> > Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp> ------------------------------------------------------> Mailman-Users mailing list> Mailman-Users at python.org> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/> Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/boxenberg%40hotmail.com> > Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp
  • Charles Marcus at May 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm

    Dov Oxenberg sent the message below at 04:32 5/30/2008:
    Good morning,
    Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a champ then
    suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent reason.
    It is failing to start reporting "no local interface found for..."
    and citing some IP address which is invalid for my system. I have
    not been able to get anywhere since Wednesday night and am now
    considering uninstalling Postfix and then reinstalling.
    I realize this is a Postfix issue, but I wanted to ask what are the
    consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then reinstalling as it
    relates to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my existing
    Mailman installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.

    I can't help with the postfix issues but I would suggest that on the
    mailman side of things that you shut down mailman until you get
    things fixed and then restart it afterward. I doubt you will have to
    do anything to it, but it can't hurt to be cautious.

    Dragon

  • Brad Knowles at May 30, 2008 at 6:57 pm

    Dov Oxenberg wrote:

    I have not been able to get
    anywhere since Wednesday night and am now considering uninstalling
    Postfix and then reinstalling.
    This sounds like a configuration problem. Uninstalling and then
    re-installing the software isn't going to help you fix a configuration
    problem. You need to actually fix the configuration problem, in order to
    fix the configuration problem.

    Hopefully, you've got an automatic backup system that keeps copies of all
    your configuration files in SCCS, RCS, CVS, Subversion, Bazar, or some other
    sort of versioning system, so that you can just pull out the latest
    configuration files you know are correct and then restore those.

    If not, you may have quite a bit of work ahead of you, but uninstalling and
    reinstalling the software is not likely to help.
    I realize this is a Postfix issue, but I
    wanted to ask what are the consequences of uninstalling Postfix, then
    reinstalling as it relates to Mailman - do I need to do anything with my
    existing Mailman installation, will I need to reinstall, etc.
    As far as Mailman is concerned, I don't think there's any impact. Not
    unless you used a package installation mechanism that would remove
    everything that depends on postfix (including Mailman), when you go to
    remove postfix. If that were to happen, you'd be seriously screwed.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm

    Dov Oxenberg wrote:
    Good morning, Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a
    champ then suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent
    reason. It is failing to start reporting "no local interface found
    for..." and citing some IP address which is invalid for my system.

    Check 'inet_interfaces' in Postfix's main.cf. Either there is a spurious
    entry or DNS is returning a spurious IP for some entry.

  • Dov Oxenberg at Jun 3, 2008 at 8:22 pm
    Hi Mark!
    Thanks so much for the reply.
    Actually I was able to get this fixed last week thanks to some users on the Postfix list.
    All that time I had the value of inet_interfaces set to "ALL" (upper case) in main.cf. The day Postfix "broke" the Domain ALL.com got a "valid" IP on the Internet (Postfix began resolving ALL.com to whatever that IP address is/was). Changing the value "ALL" to lower case resolved the issue, although I was told I could just comment out the parameter entirely.
    Thanks for the follow-up, I appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Dov

    Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:07:46 -0700> From: mark at msapiro.net> To: mailman-users at python.org> CC: boxenberg at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] re-install postfix?> > Dov Oxenberg wrote:> > > > Good morning, Until Wednesday night my Server was running like a> > champ then suddenly, mysteriously, Postfix broke for no apparent> > reason. It is failing to start reporting "no local interface found> > for..." and citing some IP address which is invalid for my system.> > > Check 'inet_interfaces' in Postfix's main.cf. Either there is a spurious> entry or DNS is returning a spurious IP for some entry.> > -- > Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,> San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan>

groupmailman-users @