Hello, I am running Debian/etch and the user "list" has a Python process
which takes up 83.2% of my memory and has been running for more than 40
minutes.

My suspicion is that some sort of queue of moderator messages is very
large.

In fact, /var/lib/mailman/ is very large... I cannot access the
administrator interface via the web:

6733 ./qfiles
21551 ./messages
60071 ./lists/asciidoc-discuss
60093 ./lists
288500 ./data
380881 .

In looking through archives, I discovered I have more than 60,000 held
messages for one mailing list:

schemelab at li2-168:/var/lib/mailman/data$ ls -l | wc -l
64688

but for some reason attempting to discard even one is not working... it
just sits there and hangs:

schemelab at li2-168:/var/lib/mailman/data$ sudo ../bin/discard
heldmsg-asciidoc-discuss-59527.pck
Password:

(no return to shell after 5 minutes)

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 3, 2008 at 3:37 am

    Terrence Brannon wrote:
[...]

    (no return to shell after 5 minutes) and
    I posted this
    <http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg49373.html>
    and basically the whole list is having other discussions like I never
    even posted...

    The second item has been addressed. I just want to add that sometimes we
    even go on vacation and don't take our computers.

    As far as your first issue is concerned, bin/discard is the best tool to
    delete these held messages. If you can't wait for it to complete, or for
    some reason it won't complete, you can remove
    lists/asciidoc-discuss/request.pck which is the 'moderator queue'. This
    will allow you to access your list. As Brad suggested
    (<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-May/061765.html>),
    it would be good to stop Mailman, remove the request.pck, remove all the
    data/heldmsg-asciidoc-discuss-*.pck files, move aside and remake the
    mailman/data directory to compact it, and start Mailman.

    Then, consider setting the lists General Options->max_days_to_hold to
    some small, non-zero value so this doesn't happen again

    - --

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 24, '08 at 12:36a
activeJun 3, '08 at 3:37a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Terrence Brannon: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post