I've just start to monitor a system which implements mailman,
and I receive a regular email (every day) from senddigests cron with this body message:

There is a traceback attached in the mail :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 94, in ?
main()
File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 86, in main
mlist.send_digest_now()
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 60, in send_digest_now
ToDigest.send_digests(self, mboxfp)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 132, in send_digests
send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 306, in send_i18n_digests
msg = scrubber(mlist, msg)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 227, in process
url = save_attachment(mlist, part, dir, filter_html=False)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 466, in save_attachment
fp = open(path, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 36] File name too long: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/[too long file name].html'

Any ideas about how it's generated and how can I stop it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monia

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm

    Monia BEN MLOUKA wrote:
    I've just start to monitor a system which implements mailman,
    and I receive a regular email (every day) from senddigests cron with this body message:

    This part of the issue, which isn't the underlying problem, is
    Mailman's crontab is mailing errors to the 'mailman' user which
    happens to be the 'mailman' site list.

    Put a

    MAILTO=user at example.com

    at the beginning of the crontab to get these mails sent where you want
    rather than having them rejected by the mailman list and then maybe
    receiving the reject.

[...]

    One list has a message in it's lists/<listname>/digest.mbox file which
    has an attached file with this long file name. Depending on your
    Mailman version and whether the size of the digest.mbox is bigger than
    digest_size_threshold, the same error and traceback may be in
    Mailman's error log for each list post.

    You need to find the offending lists/<listname>/digest.mbox and edit it
    to change the too long file name. Since you know the name from the
    error message, you can probably find the mbox with

    grep 'piece of long name' lists/*/digest.mbox

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 12, '08 at 9:19a
activeMay 12, '08 at 5:16p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Monia BEN MLOUKA: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post