I have the Mailman web interface up and running, and I'm getting an
error when I try to create a list using the create page.

I'm going to this URL to create a new list, where 111.111.111.111 is the
private IP address on our LAN segment:

http://111.111.111.111/mailman/create
<http://111.111.111.111/mailman/create>

I'm using my site password to try and submit the form. However, when I
click "Create List", I get the following error:

Error: Unknown virtual host: 111.111.111.111

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Thanks!

Bill

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 6, 2008 at 2:24 am

    Bill Honneus wrote:
    I have the Mailman web interface up and running, and I'm getting an
    error when I try to create a list using the create page.

    I'm going to this URL to create a new list, where 111.111.111.111 is the
    private IP address on our LAN segment:

    http://111.111.111.111/mailman/create
    <http://111.111.111.111/mailman/create>

    I'm using my site password to try and submit the form. However, when I
    click "Create List", I get the following error:

    Error: Unknown virtual host: 111.111.111.111

    You have the default

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW = Yes

    setting and 111.111.111.111 is not a url host in an add_virtualhost()
    directive in your configuration.

    If you are not using virtual domains and you want all your lists to be
    in the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST domains, set

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW = No

    in mm_cfg.py. Otherwise, go to the create page from the domain you want
    the list to be in, and be sure that it is a configured virtual host.

  • Bill Honneus (honneus) at May 6, 2008 at 4:05 am
    Hi Mark,

    Actually, I do already have VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW = No set in my
    Defaults.py. This must have come down from the default installation
    settings or it got set that way during the make install.

    Bill

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 6, 2008 at 4:17 am

    Bill Honneus wrote:
    Actually, I do already have VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW = No set in my
    Defaults.py. This must have come down from the default installation
    settings or it got set that way during the make install.

    My mistake. It's VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW, not VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW.

    The Defaults.py.in that we ship has

    VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = On

    nothing in configure or make changes that.

  • Bill Honneus (honneus) at May 6, 2008 at 1:58 pm
    Hi Mark,

    Ok, this seems to have gotten me past the list create error. I was able
    to create another test list through the web interface. So now I just
    need to resolve the following:

    1. Fix the apache web server so that it can resolve
    my-hostname.domain.com.
    2. Fix my mailman and other prior test list so that the web page links
    map to my-hostname.domain.com instead of my.domain.com (see my "Default
    URL Host" thread).

    Thanks,

    Bill

    Actually, I do already have VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW = No set in my
    Defaults.py. This must have come down from the default installation
    settings or it got set that way during the make install.

    My mistake. It's VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW, not VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW.

    The Defaults.py.in that we ship has

    VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = On

    nothing in configure or make changes that.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 6, '08 at 2:05a
activeMay 6, '08 at 1:58p