Under content filtering there is a field labeled: Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.

In the box I have:
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain

Can someone explain what each of those entries means, and give examples as to what kind of files would be affected by each filter?

Thanks,
R.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 3, 2008 at 5:11 pm

    Rueben wrote:
    Under content filtering there is a field labeled: Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.

    In the box I have:
    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain

    Can someone explain what each of those entries means, and give examples as to what kind of files would be affected by each filter?

    Those entries are the MIME content types that content filtering will
    accept. Any message part with a content-type other that those three
    will be filtered out. For example, in a message with the following
    structure

    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html

    The multipart/alternative part will be accepted and it's sub-parts
    examined. Of those, only the text/plain part will be accepted and the
    text/html part will be removed.

    For this message

    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
    application/msword

    again, only the text/plain part will be accepted and the text/html and
    application/msword parts will be removed.

    For this message

    multipart/related
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
    image/jpeg

    nothing will be accepted because the entire multipart/related message
    content type is not accepted.

  • Rueben at May 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm
    I don't understand your answer.

    Let me ask it differently.

    What would the mime types look like if I wanted to allow attachments for PDF
    and image files?

    Would it be any different if I wanted to allow html links to other websites?

    Thanks.

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 9, 2008 at 11:15 pm

    Rueben wrote:
    I don't understand your answer.

    Apparently because you don't understand MIME. You could start at
    <http://www.imc.org/rfcs.html#mime>, but that probably isn't the
    easiest way to learn these things.

    In my explanation below, indententation is the key. When I wrote for
    example

    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
    application/msword

    I was indication a message with content-type multipart/mixed which
    consisted of two sub-parts of types multipart/alternative and
    application/msword, and the multipart/alternative sub-part in turn
    contained text/plain and text/html alternative sub-parts

    You may also be interested in
    <http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/> which is a list of
    registered MIME types for various content.

    Let me ask it differently.

    What would the mime types look like if I wanted to allow attachments for PDF
    and image files?
    Pass mime types might contain

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    image
    application/pdf

    Line by line, the reasons are

    1. If you don't accept multipart then the only messages you accept will
    be single part messages which by definition do not have attachments.

    2. Accepting message/rfc822 is not manditory, but if someone forwards a
    message as an attachment, and you want to at least consider the parts
    of the attached message, you need this.

    3. This is to accept plain text message bodies and attachments.

    4. This will accept all 'image' content-types. if you want to be more
    selective you could accept, e.g., just image/jpeg, image/gif and
    image/png by listing those instead of the blanket 'image' (refer to
    the media types list referenced above).

    5. This will accept PDF.

    Would it be any different if I wanted to allow html links to other websites?

    If you want to allow html parts, you have to add

    text/html

    to the above list. I'm not sure what you mean by "html links to other
    websites". I included two URLs above in this text/plain message. Some
    MUAs (mail clients) may render these as clickable links. Others may
    not.
[...]

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 3, '08 at 2:27p