I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ550 with Mailman 2.1.8 installed, and running
about 120 lists. We were having problems with the setup handling
multi-part messages that contained text and html -- some mail
programs reproduced stuff twice etc. Also we need to pass attachments.

On the advice of someone I made some changes, content filtering
settings below, and while the multi-part thing is a little better, it
only passes text attachments. Need to pass .doc etc.

I am obviously not an expert in this stuff, or I wouldn't be
bothering all of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
settings below?
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content>
(Edit
filter_content<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content>)
No Yes
Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types>
(Details for
filter_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types>)
text/html
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types>
(Details for
pass_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types>)
multipart/alternative message/rfc822 text/plain
Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions>
(Edit
filter_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions>)
exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions>
(Edit
pass_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions>)
Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
content?
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>
(Edit
collapse_alternatives<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>)
No Yes
Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
happens after MIME attachments have been stripped.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>
(Edit
convert_html_to_plaintext<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>)
No Yes
Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action>
(Details for
filter_action<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action>)
Discard Reject Forward to List Owner Preserve

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 28, 2008 at 5:19 pm

    David Andrews wrote:
    I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ550 with Mailman 2.1.8 installed, and running
    about 120 lists. We were having problems with the setup handling
    multi-part messages that contained text and html -- some mail
    programs reproduced stuff twice etc. Also we need to pass attachments.

    On the advice of someone I made some changes, content filtering
    settings below, and while the multi-part thing is a little better, it
    only passes text attachments. Need to pass .doc etc.

    I am obviously not an expert in this stuff, or I wouldn't be
    bothering all of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Your copy/paste of the web page is missing some information, namely,
    which radio buttons are selected.

    Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
    settings below? [...]
    No Yes
    I assume this is Yes

    Remove message attachments that have a matching content type. [...]
    text/html

    Generally, you don't want entries in both filter_mime_types and
    pass_mime_types, since if you have anything in pass_mime_types,
    everything else will be filtered whether it's here or not.

    Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type. [...]
    multipart/alternative message/rfc822 text/plain

    So you are accepting only elemental text/plain messages and text/plain
    parts from multipart/alternative parts. This drops everything that
    isn't text/plain and also drops text/plain subparts from other
    multipart types.

    For example, if you have a message with structure

    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
    application/msword

    which is a common structure for a message with an attached ms-word
    file, you delete everything because you don't accept multipart/mixed.

    What you probably want here is something like

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    application/msword
    application/pdf
    (etc.)

    Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension. [...]
    exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
    OK

    [...]
    Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
    content? [...]
    No Yes

    This is probably irrelevant in most cases if you don't accept
    text/html, but unless you want to actuall accept and pass say both
    text/plain and text/html alternatives, set this to Yes.

    Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
    happens after MIME attachments have been stripped. [...]
    No Yes

    This should be Yes, only if you accept text/html, and you set
    collapse_alternatives to Yes, and you want remaining html parts
    converted to plain text.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 28, '08 at 3:47a
activeApr 28, '08 at 5:19p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

David Andrews: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post