I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be set
up with the installation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I
have not been able to find it so far.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 25, 2008 at 3:26 pm

    Melinda Gilmore wrote:
    I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be set
    up with the installation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I
    have not been able to find it so far.

    I'm not sure what you're asking, but old versions of Mailman used to
    use 'crypt' or 'md5' to encrypt list admin and moderator passwords and
    site and list creator passwords, but it currently uses 'sha'. It will
    still try 'crypt' and 'md5' on the supplied password if 'sha' doesn't
    match, and if it gets a 'crypt' or 'md5' match, it will migrate the
    encrypted password to 'sha'.

    In order to compute 'crypt', 'md5' and 'sha' checksums, it uses the
    builtin Python modules.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 25, 2008 at 3:45 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Melinda Gilmore wrote:
    I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be set
    up with the installation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I
    have not been able to find it so far.

    I'm not sure what you're asking, ...

    It occurs to me that what you are asking is if Mailman stores passwords
    in encrypted form.

    The answer is yes (but using sha, not md5) for site, list creator, list
    admin and list moderator passwords.

    The answer is no for list member passwords in current Mailman, but this
    will change in Mailman 3.0.

    It would be complicated to change Mailman 2.1 to encrypt list member
    passwords because the periodic and on-demand password reminder would
    have to be replaced with an on-demand password reset or something
    similar.

  • Barry Warsaw at Apr 25, 2008 at 3:50 pm

    It would be complicated to change Mailman 2.1 to encrypt list member
    passwords because the periodic and on-demand password reminder would
    have to be replaced with an on-demand password reset or something
    similar.
    Although in 2.2 we should kill off monthly password reminders,
    implementing a password reset instead, and encrypt user passwords
    too. In 3.0 #1 and #3 is done, but not #2.

    - -Barry
  • Melinda Gilmore at Apr 25, 2008 at 7:31 pm
    What I mean by Checksum is a message bounce like this.

    he following message was not processed due to the following reasons:
    - The body of the message has a checksum matching those messages already
    processed.

    I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be
    set up with the installation. Any help on this would be greatly
    appreciated. I have not been able to find it so far.

    I'm not sure what you're asking, but old versions of Mailman used to use
    'crypt' or 'md5' to encrypt list admin and moderator passwords and site and
    list creator passwords, but it currently uses 'sha'. It will still try
    'crypt' and 'md5' on the supplied password if 'sha' doesn't match, and if it
    gets a 'crypt' or 'md5' match, it will migrate the encrypted password to
    'sha'.

    In order to compute 'crypt', 'md5' and 'sha' checksums, it uses the builtin
    Python modules.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 25, 2008 at 7:57 pm

    Melinda Gilmore wrote:
    What I mean by Checksum is a message bounce like this.

    he following message was not processed due to the following reasons:
    - The body of the message has a checksum matching those messages already
    processed.

    Mailman doesn't do this. The only thing close is pipermail attempts to
    avoid duplicate archive messages, but that's based on message-id, not
    a checksum.

  • Brad Knowles at Apr 25, 2008 at 8:47 pm

    Melinda Gilmore wrote:

    What I mean by Checksum is a message bounce like this.

    he following message was not processed due to the following reasons:
    - The body of the message has a checksum matching those messages already
    processed.
    This is an error from Listserv (see <http://8help.osu.edu/33266.html>).
    This has nothing to do with Mailman.

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at python.org>
    Member of the Python.org Postmaster Team, & Co-moderator of the

    Melinda Gilmore wrote:

    I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be set
    up with the installation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I
    have not been able to find it so far.
    What do you mean by "uses the md5 checksum"?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 25, '08 at 2:57p
activeApr 25, '08 at 8:47p