FAQ
Hi everyone!

I'm highly puzzled. I have a user trying to post on a list I own. She's
getting "The message's content type was not explicitly allowed". The
message is just a "Test post" from her, headers (anonymized) follow the
email. There are *NO* entries in any of the mailman log files showing
her posts being rejected or why. Postfix mail logs just show the
outgoing mail from list-I-own-owner at .. going to her.

Settings from content filtering:

Should mailman filter? Yes
Remove message attachments that have a matching content type: (blank)
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
Leave this field blank to skip this filter test: multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative text/plain
Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension: exe
bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test. (blank)
Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
content? Yes
Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
happens after MIME attachments have been stripped: Yes
Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules: Reject

I'd appreciate any help :-/

Thanks in advance!
Best,
--Glenn (headers follow)
Subject: test post
From: yahoo user <yahoo_user blat yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-I-own <list-I-own blat lists.wingfoot.org>
Return-Path: <yahoo_user blat yahoo.com>
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by wingfoot.org
(Postfix) with ESMTP id A15AD39DC50 for <list-I-own blat
lists.wingfoot.org>; Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:44:12 -0400 (EDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at wingfoot.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -0.641
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.641 tagged_above=-999 required=6
tests=[AWL=-1.097, BAYES_00=-2.599, DKIM_SIGNED=0.001,
DKIM_VERIFIED=-0.001, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.5, FREEMAIL_FROM_D3=1,
HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG=0.097, MIME_HTML_ONLY=1.457]
Received: from wingfoot.org ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (wingfoot.org
[127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id OWGZ3AAEsz1y for
<list-I-own blat lists.wingfoot.org>; Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:44:04 -0400
(EDT)
Received: from web55805.mail.re3.yahoo.com
(web55805.mail.re3.yahoo.com [216.252.110.51]) by wingfoot.org
(Postfix) with SMTP id E460C39DC4C for <list-I-own blat
lists.wingfoot.org>; Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:44:03 -0400 (EDT)
Received: (qmail 88759 invoked by uid 60001); 25 Mar 2008 02:41:01 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-ID;
b=K84BI4SQEiUyUvh4rBhj838igaj9r7XQZd2tOkltVxl0+MuKo5YZE7KUJBiPj7DNMiK5VmB/PW9OMVjRdnj93QUkaYEWn1BrbEh1fv5OzN1SzIsNAAA5VtqVfJN//RNiuKuLb5FFhIO3jGYeidkoYMm5Zvxk6oOtgvvy9HMNvcQ=;
X-YMail-OSG:
7uudDSEVM1nvrn9SdsHKiA2dp9RH51bGQkhyhO.WpWE5pYs4qUOZ8_JgLMK7q9ZrBg--
Received: from [24.233.189.167] by web55805.mail.re3.yahoo.com via
HTTP; Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:41:01 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.7.185
Reply-To: yahoo_user blat yahoo.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-ID: <498709.88720.qm blat web55805.mail.re3.yahoo.com>

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 25, 2008 at 3:55 am

    Glenn Sieb wrote:
    I'm highly puzzled. I have a user trying to post on a list I own. She's
    getting "The message's content type was not explicitly allowed". The
    message is just a "Test post" from her, headers (anonymized) follow the
    email. There are *NO* entries in any of the mailman log files showing
    her posts being rejected or why. Postfix mail logs just show the
    outgoing mail from list-I-own-owner at .. going to her.

    Settings from content filtering:

    Should mailman filter? Yes
    Remove message attachments that have a matching content type: (blank)
    Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
    Leave this field blank to skip this filter test: multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative text/plain

    So you are allowing only text/plain parts that are either a text/plain
    message or a text/plain sub-part of a multipart/mixed or
    multipart/alternative message

    No text/html.

    Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension: exe
    bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
    Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
    extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test. (blank)
    Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
    content? Yes

    Irrelevant because you only accept the text/plain alternative in the
    first place.

    Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
    happens after MIME attachments have been stripped: Yes

    Irrelevant again because you don't accept text/html.

    Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules: Reject

    I'd appreciate any help :-/
    <snip>
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

    You don't accept text/html.


    I suggest what you want in pass_mime_types is

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    text/html

    This will accept all text plain parts and text/html parts, even from
    attached message/rfc822 parts. Then multipart/alternative parts will
    be collapsed to the first (probably text/plain) alternative, and any
    remaining text/html parts will be converted to plain text by lynx or
    whatever you set in mm_cfg.py for HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND.

    If you also want to accept signed messages, you probably want to add

    application/pgp-signature

    to the above list.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Glenn Sieb at Mar 25, 2008 at 9:32 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    I suggest what you want in pass_mime_types is

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    text/html

    This will accept all text plain parts and text/html parts, even from
    attached message/rfc822 parts. Then multipart/alternative parts will
    be collapsed to the first (probably text/plain) alternative, and any
    remaining text/html parts will be converted to plain text by lynx or
    whatever you set in mm_cfg.py for HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND.

    If you also want to accept signed messages, you probably want to add

    application/pgp-signature

    to the above list.
    I've changed the list's config to match this--and am waiting for the
    user to try it again. I am sure, given the changes, it will work now.

    Thanks again, Mark!

    Best,
    --Glenn
  • Ralf Wiegand at Mar 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm
    Question: What do I have to do, so the user only can
    email back to confirm his/her subscription. Dropping
    the entire line:
    >>>
    Or visit this web page:



    http://realdomain.de/mailman/confirm/some-test/6a35b70816124e39ac787c6ff0795cd6a400b959
    <<<<


    Mailing list subscription confirmation notice for
    mailing list
    some-test

    We have received a request from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for
    subscription of your
    email address, "someemail at mydomain.de", to the
    some-test at somedomain.de
    mailing list. To confirm that you want to be added to
    this mailing
    list, simply reply to this message, keeping the
    Subject: header
    intact. Or visit this web page:



    http://realdomain.de/mailman/confirm/some-test/6a35b70816124e39ac787c6ff0795cd6a400b959


    Or include the following line -- and only the
    following line -- in a
    message to some-test-request at realdomain.de:

    confirm 6a35b70816124e39ac787c6ff0795cd6a400b959

    Note that simply sending a `reply' to this message
    should work from
    most mail readers, since that usually leaves the
    Subject: line in the
    right form (additional "Re:" text in the Subject: is
    okay).

    If you do not wish to be subscribed to this list,
    please simply
    disregard this message. If you think you are being
    maliciously
    subscribed to the list, or have any other questions,
    send them to
    some-test-owner at realdomain.de.



    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 25, 2008 at 4:42 pm

    Ralf Wiegand wrote:
    Question: What do I have to do, so the user only can
    email back to confirm his/her subscription. Dropping
    the entire line:
    Or visit this web page:



    http://realdomain.de/mailman/confirm/some-test/6a35b70816124e39ac787c6ff0795cd6a400b959
    <<<<

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>
    for information on editing templates. The template(s) you want to edit
    is(are) verify.txt for all supported languages.

    If you ever issue invitations, you probably also want to edit
    invite.txt.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Wolf97 at Mar 25, 2008 at 3:38 pm
    We are currently running all of our mailing lists on a
    Solaris 8 box, run mailman version 2.1/sendmail. I
    would like to upgrade to a completely new box. Linux
    Redhat Enterprise and the latest version of mailman
    and postfix. Is there a way to export/import all my
    existing list from the original server to the new one?

    Thank You
    Ralf Wiegand


    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 25, '08 at 3:03a
activeMar 25, '08 at 4:42p
posts6
users3
websitelist.org

3 users in discussion

Wolf97: 2 posts Glenn Sieb: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase