Hello All,

I have setup mailman on my server, I got it up & running & created a
maillist. During my testing, I sent I test message to my list & I got a
failure back.

The first failure I got when I sent it from an email account not associated
with the server..

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.

The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each
recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>

Reason: 5.7.1 <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: Relay access denied

This next error come when I sent from an email address that is set up
through the mail server on the same machine as mailman.

This is the mail system at host li20-14.members.linode.com. I'm sorry to
have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more
recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to
postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete
your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system
<net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: mail for xalarisirc.net loops back to myself

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to correct this?

Thanks

Juston Griggs

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 24, 2008 at 3:40 pm

    Juston Griggs wrote:
    The first failure I got when I sent it from an email account not associated
    with the server..

    This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: <snip>
    Reason: 5.7.1 <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: Relay access denied

    This next error come when I sent from an email address that is set up
    through the mail server on the same machine as mailman.

    This is the mail system at host li20-14.members.linode.com. I'm sorry to
    have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more
    recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to
    postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete
    your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system
    <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: mail for xalarisirc.net loops back to myself

    These are MTA (Postfix?) configuration questions, not Mailman questions.

    Just one guess - if this is Postfix, add xalarisirc.net to
    virtual_alias_domains in Postfix's main.cf.

  • Juston Griggs at Mar 24, 2008 at 11:23 pm
    Thanks for the response, I did what you suggested, and I tried a test
    message, now I get this...

    Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
    The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each
    recipient was rejected.

    Recipient: <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>
    Reason: 5.1.1 <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

    Thanks for the help
    Juston

[...]

    6:50 PM
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 24, 2008 at 11:46 pm

    Juston Griggs wrote:
    Thanks for the response, I did what you suggested, and I tried a test
    message, now I get this...

    Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
    The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each
    recipient was rejected.

    Recipient: <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>
    Reason: 5.1.1 <net_admins at xalarisirc.net>: Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

    See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> including the
    subsections

    # 6.1.1 Integrating Postfix and Mailman
    # 6.1.2 Virtual domains

    for information about setting up Mailman and Postfix to work together.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 24, '08 at 6:08a
activeMar 24, '08 at 11:46p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Juston Griggs: 2 posts