We have an automated system that programmatically adds users to lists using the email command functionality (subscribe nodigest address=$theemailaddress). Though, some of the lists are large and occasionally we get the returned email response:

"We have received a message from your address `the at sender.com'
requesting an automated response from the
the-list at lists.com mailing list. We have seen 10 such
messages from you today. In order to avoid problems such as mail
loops between email robots, we will not be sending you any further
email responses today. Please try again tomorrow.

If you believe this message is in error, or if you have any questions,
please contact the list owner at
the-list at lists.com."

*Note that I renamed the sending and list email addresses.

Is there some limit that's being triggered causing this message, and what can I do to prevent it?
Thanks,
Brian

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 15, 2008 at 1:48 am

    Brian Herold wrote:
[...]

    The limit is MAX_AUTORESPONSES_PER_DAY which defaults to 10. It can be
    set lower or higher, and it can be set to 0 for no limit, but note
    that if you set it either to 0 or a large value, your server can be
    used a spam reflector or for 'Joe Jobbing'.

    Note however that the subscribe command(s) are still processed even
    though the 10th one gets the above response and the remainder get no
    response.

  • Brian Herold at Mar 18, 2008 at 6:59 pm
    Hmm, the problem of our lists not being fully populated with members must lie elsewhere. Thanks for the info on the autoresponse message though!

    Brian

    Brian Herold / Internet Applications Developer
    Department of Medicine / University of Wisconsin
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> 3/14/2008 8:48 PM >>>
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 18, 2008 at 9:34 pm
    Brian Herold wrote
    Hmm, the problem of our lists not being fully populated with members must lie elsewhere.

    I was going to ask if your subscribe_policy involves confirmation
    thinking that perhaps the subscribees weren't confirming, but I think
    it must not because if it did, the autoresponses would be the
    confirmations sent to the users and you presumably wouldn't be seeing
    the "last autoresponse" notices.

    I did however look back at your original post and I saw the subscribe
    command was

    subscribe nodigest address=$theemailaddress

    While this works, it doesn't do what you think. I'm going to fix this
    for 2.1.10, but currently, the above command will subscribe the user
    in the default digest mode with a password of 'nodigest'.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 14, '08 at 7:38p
activeMar 18, '08 at 9:34p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Brian Herold: 2 posts