Hi folks,

Mailman is installed and running, but.... Newbie question:

It isn't clear to me which files in my Mailman directory get
symlinked from my http directory.

Thanks.
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 11, 2008 at 1:48 pm

    billc wrote:
    It isn't clear to me which files in my Mailman directory get
    symlinked from my http directory.

    Assuming you are using Apache or some similar web server, the answer is
    none. The archives have static HTML pages which may, in the case of a
    public archive, by accessed via something like (for Apache)

    Alias /pipermail/ /path/to/mailman/archives/public/

    Everything else is served by CGI scripts which are accessed via
    wrappers via something like (for Apache)

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/

  • Billc at Mar 12, 2008 at 5:57 am

    It isn't clear to me which files in my Mailman directory get
    symlinked from my http directory.

    Assuming you are using Apache or some similar web server, the answer is
    none. The archives have static HTML pages which may, in the case of a
    public archive, by accessed via something like (for Apache)

    Alias /pipermail/ /path/to/mailman/archives/public/

    Everything else is served by CGI scripts which are accessed via
    wrappers via something like (for Apache)

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/
    Yes, apache2 with Postfix.

    Ok, that makes sense now. Apache and Postfix have been restarted,
    but unfortunately I'm not connecting.

    Mailman list has been created.
    Testlist and testlist2 have been created.
    All three are in archives/private/
    The "Your new mailing list: testlist2" email was sent and received.

    I'm getting /mailman/admin/testlist2 was not found on this server,
    and similar for all other URLs I've attempted.

    I'm running virtual domains, in case that makes a difference.

    Obviously I'm missing something somewhere. Any clues gladly welcomed.

    --
    Bill Christensen
    <http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm

    billc wrote:
    Yes, apache2 with Postfix.

    Ok, that makes sense now. Apache and Postfix have been restarted,
    but unfortunately I'm not connecting.

    Mailman list has been created.
    Testlist and testlist2 have been created.
    All three are in archives/private/
    The "Your new mailing list: testlist2" email was sent and received.

    I'm getting /mailman/admin/testlist2 was not found on this server,
    and similar for all other URLs I've attempted.

    I'm running virtual domains, in case that makes a difference.

    Do you have the proper

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /correct/path/

    in your httpd.conf where it will apply to this host?

    And what's in your Apache error_log?

    See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html>.

  • Billc at Mar 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm

    Ok, that makes sense now. Apache and Postfix have been restarted,
    but unfortunately I'm not connecting.

    Mailman list has been created.
    Testlist and testlist2 have been created.
    All three are in archives/private/
    The "Your new mailing list: testlist2" email was sent and received.

    I'm getting /mailman/admin/testlist2 was not found on this server,
    and similar for all other URLs I've attempted.

    I'm running virtual domains, in case that makes a difference.

    Do you have the proper

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /correct/path/

    in your httpd.conf where it will apply to this host?

    And what's in your Apache error_log?

    See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html>.

    Well, that's progress. I found that I had a typo in the script alias
    path. I've got all the rest of the stuff from that section in place.

    Now I'm seeing:

    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the CGI
    wrapper script to be executed as group "www", but
    the system's web server executed the CGI script as
    group "nogroup". Try tweaking the web server to run the
    script as group "www", or re-run configure,
    providing the command line option `--with-cgi-gid=nogroup'

    The only thing I see in the apache config regarding group is

    <IfModule !mpm_winnt.c>
    <IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
    User nobody
    Group #-1
    </IfModule>
    </IfModule>

    I'm not running winnt.c or netware.c, so I assume that means I'm
    defaulting to User nobody and Group #-1.

    Would it be a better option to re-run config with the nogroup option,
    or put something in the apache config (and if the latter, what should
    it be?)

    Thanks for the help.

    --
    Bill Christensen
    <http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 13, 2008 at 12:35 am

    billc wrote:
[...]

    Either change 'Group #-1' above to 'Group www' or rerun configure (and
    make install) with the option --with-cgi-gid=nogroup. Your choice.

  • Billc at Mar 13, 2008 at 4:38 am