I've been trying to figure out this problem and I've seen some mention of it in
past mailing list archives but I still cannot figure it out. I'm getting the
following message in my Logwatch file:

System Error Messages:
putbody: write error: Broken pipe: 164 Time(s)
Cannot exec /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.9/contrib/mm-handler: Permission
denied: 168 Time(s)

I think this is related to the "operating system error" that I've seen elsewhere
as well but I can't figure it out yet. What's causing these series of errors?

As for mm-handler, it's owned by root.mailman. It used to have permissions 644
which I assume made it unable to run so I altered it to 654. However, the same
error still appears. Any suggestions?

I-Ming Chen

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 9, 2008 at 7:17 pm

    I-Ming Chen wrote:
    I've been trying to figure out this problem and I've seen some mention of it in
    past mailing list archives but I still cannot figure it out. I'm getting the
    following message in my Logwatch file:

    System Error Messages:
    putbody: write error: Broken pipe: 164 Time(s)
    Cannot exec /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.9/contrib/mm-handler: Permission
    denied: 168 Time(s)

    I think this is related to the "operating system error" that I've seen elsewhere
    as well but I can't figure it out yet. What's causing these series of errors?

    As for mm-handler, it's owned by root.mailman. It used to have permissions 644
    which I assume made it unable to run so I altered it to 654. However, the same
    error still appears. Any suggestions?

    mm-handler is contributed, unsupported software.

    However, your MTA is the process that executes it, so it must be
    readable and executable by your MTA which probably doesn't run in the
    mailman group.

    If you make it's permissions 755, it should work (or at least get to
    the next problem).

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 9, '08 at 7:03p