Hi all

I did a whacky transistion form an old installation to a new one.
The old installation is only available as files (no running
Mailman), since a hard dist crashed and we were left with bare
data.

I did a straightforward transition roughly as described in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055208.html

Now when I visit http://OURHOST/mailman/admin/OURLIST and enter
password, I get
---
Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing
of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
---

This is the error log (the listname and host name were replaced
manually by OURLIST and OURHOST):
---
Feb 02 23:15:27 2008 (12889) Failed config.pck write, retaining old state.
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/lists/OURLIST/config.pck.tmp.OURHOST.12889'
Feb 02 23:15:27 2008 admin(12889): @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
admin(12889): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.9 -----]
admin(12889): [----- Traceback ------]
admin(12889): Traceback (most recent call last):
admin(12889): File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 101, in run_main
admin(12889): main()
admin(12889): File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 199, in mai
admin(12889): mlist.Save()
admin(12889): File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 561, in Save
admin(12889): self.__save(dict)
admin(12889): File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 516, in __sa
ve
admin(12889): fp = open(fname_tmp, 'w')
admin(12889): IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/lists/OURLIST/config.pck.tmp.dskt6990.12889'
admin(12889): [----- Python Information -----]
admin(12889): sys.version = 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 4 2007, 16:52:23)
[GCC 4.1.2]
admin(12889): sys.executable = /usr/bin/python
admin(12889): sys.prefix = /usr
admin(12889): sys.exec_prefix = /usr
admin(12889): sys.path = /usr
admin(12889): sys.platform = linux2
---

Any help appreciated.

Visvanath

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 2, 2008 at 11:36 pm

    Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
[...]

    It looks like the web server (in this case) doesn't have permission the
    create files in the /usr/local/mailman/lists/OURLIST/ directory.

    Check that the owner:group and permissions on this directory are the
    same as other directories in /usr/local/mailman/lists/, e.g.
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/.

  • Visvanath Ratnaweera at Feb 3, 2008 at 8:17 am
    Hi Mark, hi all

    Ref: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> 03.02.2008 08:29