Running 2.1.9 on Debian etch (stable), lists working fine except qrunner
silently dies and noone notices until someone realizes they haven't seen any
mail lately. Currently worked around with cron job restarting Mailman.
Googling around, some have suggested this might be related to
permissions...?

Whether my perms are related to the above problem or not, I apparently do
have some permissions problems as shown by running check_perms. There were
initially 70-some problems, most if not all of which were related to group
being root instead of list. I ran check_perms -f (as root) and many, but
not all, were fixed. Now there are 17 that still show having the same
problem - group root not list - and I can't seem to fix it. Even using
WinSCP and trying to change the group ownership with that instead of
check_perms -f does not give lasting results. IOW, I can't seem to change
the permissions!

I'm not a Linux expert, obvious from the above... Any suggestions? Would
CHMOD from a server terminal be any different? Any other comments? I've
checked the FAQ, but I don't see the problem there (or don't recognize it).

Thanks! Running Mailman since 2.1.5 with essentially no problems until I
upgraded Debian from sarge to etch and Mailman from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9.

Thanks! - John

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 2, 2008 at 9:20 pm

    John Fleming wrote:
    Running 2.1.9 on Debian etch (stable), lists working fine except qrunner
    silently dies and noone notices until someone realizes they haven't seen any
    mail lately. Currently worked around with cron job restarting Mailman.
    Googling around, some have suggested this might be related to
    permissions...?

    What's in Mailman's error and qrunner logs when the runner dies?

    Whether my perms are related to the above problem or not, I apparently do
    have some permissions problems as shown by running check_perms. There were
    initially 70-some problems, most if not all of which were related to group
    being root instead of list. I ran check_perms -f (as root) and many, but
    not all, were fixed. Now there are 17 that still show having the same
    problem - group root not list - and I can't seem to fix it. Even using
    WinSCP and trying to change the group ownership with that instead of
    check_perms -f does not give lasting results. IOW, I can't seem to change
    the permissions!

    What are the 17 problem files/directories and what are their ownership
    and permissions?

    I'm not a Linux expert, obvious from the above... Any suggestions? Would
    CHMOD from a server terminal be any different?

    Probably not. It does essentially what check_perms does.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 29, '07 at 10:00p
activeJan 2, '08 at 9:20p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post John Fleming: 1 post