Doubtless trivial but I've missed it in the documentation :-)

Is there a special mailman mechanism to alias lists e.g., I want posts
to listB at domain to end up at listA at domain.

(A workaround for renaming lists that is trivial, rather than
nontrivial)

Regards,

Lev

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 17, 2007 at 5:47 pm

    Lev Lafayette wrote:
    Is there a special mailman mechanism to alias lists e.g., I want posts
    to listB at domain to end up at listA at domain.

    (A workaround for renaming lists that is trivial, rather than
    nontrivial)

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.070.htp>.

    If you don't want to actually rename listA to listB, but just, as you
    say, have mail to listB wind up at listA, this is mostly an MTA
    question, not a Mailman question, but assuming your MTA uses aliases
    of the form

    lista at example.com: "|/path/to/mail/mailman post lista"
    lista-admin at example.com: "|/path/to/mail/mailman admin lista"
    etc.

    just make a second set like

    listb at example.com: "|/path/to/mail/mailman post lista"
    listb-admin at example.com: "|/path/to/mail/mailman admin lista"
    etc.

    and add listb at example.com to lista's Privacy options...->Recipient
    filters->acceptable_aliases.

    Depending on your MTA and its configuration, there are probably other
    ways to do this, but what you have to do is make mail to a listb...
    address be finally delivered in exactly the same way as mail to the
    corresponding lista.. address.

  • Brad Knowles at Dec 17, 2007 at 7:11 pm