I'm setting up Mailman for an organization where it's common practice to
have mail user agents automatically send back receipt notifications. In
other words, there's no getting around auto-receipt notification.

How does one handle the case where a subscriber's MUA automatically
sends Receipt replies to each email received including emails from
mailing lists? I've gone through the admin configuration scripts and
can't seem to find anything. Closest I found was in the Bounce options.
--

Richi Plana

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 14, 2007 at 9:07 pm

    Richi Plana wrote:
    I'm setting up Mailman for an organization where it's common practice to
    have mail user agents automatically send back receipt notifications. In
    other words, there's no getting around auto-receipt notification.

    Bummer :-(

    How does one handle the case where a subscriber's MUA automatically
    sends Receipt replies to each email received including emails from
    mailing lists? I've gone through the admin configuration scripts and
    can't seem to find anything. Closest I found was in the Bounce options.

    To what address is the auto-receipt sent?

    If it is the envelope sender or the Sender: header, there may or may
    not be a problem. The receipt will go to the listname-bounces address
    and will be handled as a bounce. As long as it isn't VERPed, it will
    likely be unrecognized and will be discarded or forwarded to the list
    owner depending on bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner. If it is
    VERPed, it will be scored as a bounce for the VERPed address, which is
    a problem.

    If, as is more likely, it is sent to the Reply-To: or From:, it is a
    problem for the poster who gets all the receipts or for whatever the

    In short, there's not really anything you can do with Mailman settings
    to compensate for this except turning off
    bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner in the one case where this
    might help.

    The real solution is to train the recipient MUA to not send a receipt
    for "Precedence: list" mail, or as long as the list is not fully
    personalized, to not send a receipt for mail of which the recipient is
    not a direct addressee. Or better yet, not send receipts at all.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 14, '07 at 8:34p
activeDec 14, '07 at 9:07p