We run Mailman 2.1.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server. Postfix 2.1.5 is the
SMTP server. A number of our subscribers who are sent digests are not
able to receive them. The digest messages are bouncing with the error
message:

Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Many of these digests are sent with the header Content-Transfer-
Encoding: 8bit, and I am wondering if this is what is causing some of
our subscribers to not receive these messages.

Has anyone else here experienced this problem, and is there a way to
force Mailman to generate digests using the quoted-printable encoding
instead? Or possibly, is there a way to get Postfix to translate to
quoted-printable? We have recently migrated to Mailman from a
different list serve program, and never had this problem with digests
with the older list serve.

-- Andrew

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 3, 2007 at 8:41 pm

    Andrew Miller wrote:
    We run Mailman 2.1.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server. Postfix 2.1.5 is the
    SMTP server. A number of our subscribers who are sent digests are not
    able to receive them. The digest messages are bouncing with the error
    message:

    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

    Many of these digests are sent with the header Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: 8bit, and I am wondering if this is what is causing some of
    our subscribers to not receive these messages.

    It could be, but as far as I know, if the remote MTA doesn't indicate
    an ability to accept 8bit, Postfix should convert the body to
    quoted-printable.

    Has anyone else here experienced this problem, and is there a way to
    force Mailman to generate digests using the quoted-printable encoding
    instead? Or possibly, is there a way to get Postfix to translate to
    quoted-printable? We have recently migrated to Mailman from a
    different list serve program, and never had this problem with digests
    with the older list serve.

    If in fact it is the Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit that is the
    problem, it seems strange that only digests are affected. The
    library based on the character set and content of the message.

    For a normal, English language digest, the character set is us-ascii in
    which case the Content-Transfer-Encoding: will be 8bit or 7bit
    depending on whether or not the message actually contains 8bit codes.

    You can force QP encoding by forcing the message to be iso-8859-1
    rather than us-ascii. You can do this by putting

    add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'iso-8859-1')

    in mm_cfg.py.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 3, '07 at 3:24a
activeDec 3, '07 at 8:41p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Andrew Miller: 1 post