Has anyone else had a problem sending html emails through 2.1.9? I am
running a virtual dedicated server (linux Fedora Red Hat 6 with a Plesk
interface) at my webhost. On one of my domains I have set up a list and am
trying to send an html email. I have tried:
1?html page through Entourage with inline files (everything has been
correctly uploaded to the server in same directory)
2?multipart/alternative through PHPMailer
3?webpage through Thunderbird.

I have content filtering set to ?off? and have gone though all the setting a
hundred times. Nothing seems to work, and the page arrives as plain text
with a bunch of jumbled links. (I also have my client set correctly to
receive html and have tried it on several client platforms.)

AND the email comes through fine when I send it through a different list (on
a different domain on a different server and host) running Mailman 2.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 10, 2007 at 8:06 pm

    Frank Kuzler wrote:
    Has anyone else had a problem sending html emails through 2.1.9? I am
    running a virtual dedicated server (linux Fedora Red Hat 6 with a Plesk
    interface) at my webhost. On one of my domains I have set up a list and am
    trying to send an html email. I have tried:
    1 html page through Entourage with inline files (everything has been
    correctly uploaded to the server in same directory)
    2 multipart/alternative through PHPMailer
    3 webpage through Thunderbird.

    I have content filtering set to 'off' and have gone though all the setting a
    hundred times. Nothing seems to work, and the page arrives as plain text
    with a bunch of jumbled links.

    I don't know about the 'jumbled' part, but it seems you may have
    Non-digest options->scrub_nondigest set to Yes.

  • Tom Noise at Nov 10, 2007 at 8:20 pm
    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for the reply, but I actually have Non-Digest Scrub set to "no".

    Maybe I should have been more clear on the jumbled part. It comes through
    with all the text and code for the html links (e.g.,
    <http://www.example.com>) but nothing else--no form, images, etc. So it's
    just an unstyled page.

    I am not using using CSS for the email version and have all the styling done
    in the source code. It looks fine is any browser.

    Thanks
    Tom
    Has anyone else had a problem sending html emails through 2.1.9? I am
    running a virtual dedicated server (linux Fedora Red Hat 6 with a Plesk
    interface) at my webhost. On one of my domains I have set up a list and am
    trying to send an html email. I have tried:
    1 html page through Entourage with inline files (everything has been
    correctly uploaded to the server in same directory)
    2 multipart/alternative through PHPMailer
    3 webpage through Thunderbird.

    I have content filtering set to 'off' and have gone though all the setting a
    hundred times. Nothing seems to work, and the page arrives as plain text
    with a bunch of jumbled links.

    I don't know about the 'jumbled' part, but it seems you may have
    Non-digest options->scrub_nondigest set to Yes.
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 10, 2007 at 8:37 pm

    Tom Noise wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, but I actually have Non-Digest Scrub set to "no".

    Maybe I should have been more clear on the jumbled part. It comes through
    with all the text and code for the html links (e.g.,
    <http://www.example.com>) but nothing else--no form, images, etc. So it's
    just an unstyled page.

    I am not using using CSS for the email version and have all the styling done
    in the source code. It looks fine is any browser.

    Please post the raw message including all headers for a message as sent
    to the list and the same message as received from the list so we can
    see what is happening.

    One possibility is you are adding msg_header and/or msg_footer and your
    MUA does not understand the resultant MIME structured message, but
    that doesn't seem too likely.

  • Tom Noise at Nov 10, 2007 at 9:52 pm
    Thanks again. The problem was a simple text footer that I added. I took it
    out and now it seems to be working. Why would that be though? In earlier
    versions I had left the default footer in without trying to customize it and
    it never affected anything.

    Again thanks.

    Thanks for the reply, but I actually have Non-Digest Scrub set to "no".

    Maybe I should have been more clear on the jumbled part. It comes through
    with all the text and code for the html links (e.g.,
    <http://www.example.com>) but nothing else--no form, images, etc. So it's
    just an unstyled page.

    I am not using using CSS for the email version and have all the styling done
    in the source code. It looks fine is any browser.

    Please post the raw message including all headers for a message as sent
    to the list and the same message as received from the list so we can
    see what is happening.

    One possibility is you are adding msg_header and/or msg_footer and your
    MUA does not understand the resultant MIME structured message, but
    that doesn't seem too likely.
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 10, 2007 at 11:20 pm

    Tom Noise wrote:
    Thanks again. The problem was a simple text footer that I added. I took it
    out and now it seems to be working. Why would that be though? In earlier
    versions I had left the default footer in without trying to customize it and
    it never affected anything.

    If by earlier versions you mean 2.0.x, the way footers are added
    changed significantly in 2.1. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>
    for more on this.

    However, the addition of the list footer should just cause your
    original text/html message to become a multipart/mixed message
    containing the original message as a text/html subpart followed by a
    text/plain subpart containing the footer. If this is enough to cause
    your MUA to not render the HTML properly, I'd say you need to try a
    different MUA.

  • Tom Noise at Nov 12, 2007 at 11:26 pm
    I'm running into a problem today with posting and receiving through lists.
    This morning posts to the list were being sent and received fine, and now
    the posts are being sent through the email client correctly (I checked with
    a non-list email address), but nothing is being posted to the list. I've
    been back through the settings and nothing seems to be off on the list.
    Nothing is in the archives, and nothing is being held for moderation.

    Thanks.

    Tom
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 12, 2007 at 11:45 pm

    Tom Noise wrote:
    I'm running into a problem today with posting and receiving through lists.
    This morning posts to the list were being sent and received fine, and now
    the posts are being sent through the email client correctly (I checked with
    a non-list email address), but nothing is being posted to the list. I've
    been back through the settings and nothing seems to be off on the list.
    Nothing is in the archives, and nothing is being held for moderation.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>,
    especially items 1b), 5b), 6) and 7).

groupmailman-users @