Barry Finkel wrote:

I wrote, in part,
I have 13 lists. For each list I checked the URL chains from the

Mailman "home page", and for five of the lists I see URL problems.

Note that the Mailman list archives page lacks a "/" between "mailman"
and "listinfo". For each of these bad lists I ran

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url $list -u lists.example.com

but there were no changes to the URLs.
and "Richard Rae" <Richard_Rae at xyratex.com> replied:
You might need to run the fix_url command

~/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url listname
Is this any different than the command I ran? I tried the

fix_url

command without the

-u lists.example.com

parameter, and the URLs did not change.
and Mark Sapiro replied:
Yes, it is different, but that is not the current problem (or maybe it
was, but more on that in a paragraph).

The -u option sets the url_host in case that list's url_host is
different from DEFAULT_URL_HOST, which I gather in your case it is not.

Here's what I think the issue is. When you originally changed
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN for the https scheme you left off the trailing
slash and added cgi-bin/as in

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/cgi-bin/mailman'
(when the 'mailman' list was created)

also, apparently at some point you had other things like

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/'
(bad3 through bad 6)
and

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/'
(bad2)

You later corrected that to

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'

and (perhaps later still) ran fix_url which fixed the hidden
web_page_url attribute on these six lists.

However, the archive pages are static HTML pages. Current index and TOC
pages are constantly rebuilt as messages are added to the archives,
but pages that haven't been updated since before you ran fix_url will
have bad links as you observe.

There are a few ways to fix this. The easiest is to run 'bin/arch
--wipe' on all the problem lists, but if these lists have archives
going back to older Mailman versions (I'm not sure how old is a
problem, but maybe 2.0.x, maybe pre 2.1.4), there are some potential
issues in that there may be unescaped "From " lines in message bodies
that are taken as mbox message separators by the archiver
(bin/cleanarch can help find/fix these). Also, there is a possibility
that messages may get renumbered in the archive which is not a problem
in itself, but it invalidates any saved URLs linking to individual
archive messages.

If you don't want to run 'bin/arch --wipe' you can ignore the problem.
The main TOC page and the current period's index pages should get
fixed the next time a message is archived for the list, and new index
pages will be built correctly. If older index pages are a concern,
they can be edited with a script.
Mark has a correct diagnosis. I went back through my records, and
I did have different

DEFAULT_URL_HOST

values when I created these test lists. Each list was created with
Mailman 2.1.9, so for most of the lists, sending another test posting
to the list corrected the archive URL.

I did not run

bin/arch --wipe

because I did not need to, and also I was unsure of the proper
parameters. I also did not have time to look for the man page.
I know that when I convert a Majordomo list to Mailman, I have to run

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/arch --wipe $LISTNAME majordomolist.mbox

after creating the majordomolist.mbox file from the Majordomo list
archives. On my Ubuntu system

man arch

displays the man page for

arch - print machine architecture

One thing that

fixurl

did that I was not expecting was to change

host_name

back to the default in one test list where I had set it to another
nodename for testing. But re-setting this parameter was easy to do
via the admin web interface.
Barry S. Finkel
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

Search Discussions

  • Rosenbaum, Larry M. at Nov 8, 2007 at 9:44 pm
    If I send an email from Outlook to the listname-request address with this line:

    subscribe address=test2 at ornl.gov

    I get back the following result:

    Your authorization is required for a mailing list subscription request
    approval:

    For: 3Dtest2 at ornl.gov

    Notice the "3D" in front of the original address. It looks like Mailman isn't decoding the quoted-printable encoding before parsing the message body. Why is that? Should I file a bug report?

    (Note: when I sent the message from Outlook, I forced it to "plain text")
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 9, 2007 at 2:21 am

    subscribe address=test2 at ornl.gov

    For: 3Dtest2 at ornl.gov

    Notice the "3D" in front of the original address. It looks like Mailman isn't decoding the quoted-printable encoding before parsing the message body. Why is that? Should I file a bug report?

    It looks like you are correct. It is apparently an oversight. I'll fix
    it without the report, but it is always good to have the report in the
    tracker for the next person that finds the bug.

    (Note: when I sent the message from Outlook, I forced it to "plain text")

    Does Outlook have an option to use 8bit encoding rather than QP, and
    why is it QP encoding a message that appears to not have any 8bit
    characters?

  • Rosenbaum, Larry M. at Nov 9, 2007 at 4:09 pm
    I have submitted this as Bug 1829061.
    subscribe address=test2 at ornl.gov

    For: 3Dtest2 at ornl.gov

    Notice the "3D" in front of the original address. It looks like
    Mailman isn't decoding the quoted-printable encoding before parsing the
    message body. Why is that? Should I file a bug report?

    It looks like you are correct. It is apparently an oversight. I'll fix
    it without the report, but it is always good to have the report in the
    tracker for the next person that finds the bug.

    (Note: when I sent the message from Outlook, I forced it to "plain
    text")

    Does Outlook have an option to use 8bit encoding rather than QP, and
    Not that I know of.
    why is it QP encoding a message that appears to not have any 8bit
    characters?
    I don't know, but probably because it's Outlook.
  • Barry Finkel at Nov 9, 2007 at 3:35 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote in reply to a posting:
    Does Outlook have an option to use 8bit encoding rather than QP, and
    why is it QP encoding a message that appears to not have any 8bit
    characters?
    Will Outlook use QP when there is a blank character at the end of
    a line in the body of the message? I do not use Outlook, so I do not
    know. In the past I have seen many subscription attempts to our
    Majordomo lists (most of which have been converted to Mailman) in
    QP format, and the su_______ line has

    su______ listname user at example.com

    and since Majordomo does not decode QP, the confirmation mail is
    sent to an invalid address

    user at example.com

    I have not experimented with administrivia mail to Mailman in QP
    format, as I do not have an easy way to generate such mail.

    Note I am using "su_______" so that my mail is not treated as
    administrivia.

    su______ listname user at example.com

    user at example.com

    I have not experimented with administrivia mail to Mailman in QP
    format, as I do not have an easy way to generate such mail.

    Note I am using "su_______" so that my mail is not treated as
    administrivia.

    A quoted-printable message with a trailing blank encoded as you
    describe has the same problem in Mailman through 2.1.9. I have fixed
    it for 2.1.10.

    Even if you had spelled out 'subscribe', your message wouldn't have
    been treated as administrivia. In order to be administrivia, the
    'subscribe' would need to be the first word on a line and followed by
    no more than 3 additional 'words' on that line. Additionally, it would
    need to be among the first 5 non-blank lines in the message body. So,
    only the second 'su_______' would qualify except it is too far down.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 7, '07 at 2:49p