We run a mailman list. Anyone can subscribe but we would prefer to restrict
subscription to members of our not-for-profit organisation. We have those
members on an online database. Has anyone ever linked the mailman list of
subscribers to another database of email addresses and is there any way
apart fom manually checking against our membership list and manually
deleting subscribers to our mailman list?

Apologies if it's in the FAQ I did look though.

thanks

David

  • Steven Stern at Nov 4, 2007 at 11:36 pm

    We run a mailman list. Anyone can subscribe but we would prefer to restrict
    subscription to members of our not-for-profit organisation. We have those
    members on an online database. Has anyone ever linked the mailman list of
    subscribers to another database of email addresses and is there any way
    apart fom manually checking against our membership list and manually
    deleting subscribers to our mailman list?

    Apologies if it's in the FAQ I did look though.

    thanks

    David
    Here's the basic outline:

    Extract a list of member email addresses.

    /usr/local/mailman/bin/sync_members -g=no -w=no -d=no -a=no -f
    file_of_email_addresses list_name_here

    The list is set up so confirmation of subscription is required (and we
    never confirm when someone tries).

    We run this process at the top of every hour. Users
    subscribe/unsubscribe through our member services profiler, not through
    he list itself.

    - --

    Steve
  • David Beaumont at Nov 4, 2007 at 11:54 pm
    Thnanks for very prompt response. I can obtain the list of members although
    I do not have server shell access, I can do it by email commands so that is
    no problem. I don't understand though how you use that.

    I should add our mailman list is on a suppliers server. We have our own
    website on a different suppliers server. that website has a members only
    section where members have to login.

    Are you allowing only members of your list by making the only route to
    subscribing your own web site after logging in to your own web site? Thats
    seems a great idea, we could do that and then we wouldn't need to run the
    mailman subscribers list at all let alone once an hour. We would need to
    manuslly check all existing subscribers but only the once.

    I assume we would just edit the HTML of the standard mailman subscribe page
    to tell them to login to our site instead. One question though is there a
    simple way to prevent non members subscribing by just guessing the subscribe
    email address? Oh one more when our members leave they will still stay as
    subscribers to the mailman list.

    thnaks

    David

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/lists%40nabble.com

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 5, 2007 at 12:23 am

    David Beaumont wrote:
    Thnanks for very prompt response. I can obtain the list of members although
    I do not have server shell access, I can do it by email commands so that is
    no problem. I don't understand though how you use that.

    Steven doesn't allow direct subscription to the list. Subscription is
    set to require admin approval and requests are denied.

    He has a separate "member services profiler" application that generates
    the list of addresses that should be list members and processes that
    with sync_members to update the list membership.

    I should add our mailman list is on a suppliers server. We have our own
    website on a different suppliers server. that website has a members only
    section where members have to login.

    Are you allowing only members of your list by making the only route to
    subscribing your own web site after logging in to your own web site? Thats
    seems a great idea, we could do that and then we wouldn't need to run the
    mailman subscribers list at all let alone once an hour. We would need to
    manuslly check all existing subscribers but only the once.

    As I understand Steven's post, he does something like that except that
    people can't directly subscribe to the Mailman list through his
    application. The application generates what should be the current
    subscribers list and that is transmitted to Mailman periodically via
    sync_members.

    I assume we would just edit the HTML of the standard mailman subscribe page
    to tell them to login to our site instead. One question though is there a
    simple way to prevent non members subscribing by just guessing the subscribe
    email address? Oh one more when our members leave they will still stay as
    subscribers to the mailman list.

    You can prevent people from subscribing directly as Steven does by
    requiring admin approval and not approving.

    Then the question is how do you automatically update the Mailman list
    membership as people subscribe and unsubscribe via your web site.
    Steven does this by creating the 'current' membership list and
    processing it through sync_members. This won't work for you with
    Mailman hosted remotely and no command line access.

    See the results of
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman+wget>
    for ways to use the list admin CGI to add and delete members.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 4, '07 at 11:25p
activeNov 5, '07 at 12:23a