When posting to a list, if I reply to a reply to a reply, I get a
rejection from the server saying "The message's content type was not
explicitly allowed" - but prior to this, the messages get accepted. Any
ideas what may be causing this, and what the admin can do (no command
line access) to prevent this from happening, please?

Rgds

MD

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 4, 2007 at 5:02 pm

    Martin Dennett wrote:
    When posting to a list, if I reply to a reply to a reply, I get a
    rejection from the server saying "The message's content type was not
    explicitly allowed" - but prior to this, the messages get accepted. Any
    ideas what may be causing this, and what the admin can do (no command
    line access) to prevent this from happening, please?

    The reject is because after content filtering has been applied, there
    is nothing left in your message. The list admin can adjust content
    filtering or turn it off, but this is probably not a good solution.

    The problem is in the way your MUA is creating this message. It it most
    likely, being posted as an HTML only message. I am only guessing, but
    here's what I think is happening:

    The list is set to remove text/html parts. You post a text/plain
    message to the list. Someone replies to this message and the reply is
    multipart/alternative with text/plain and text/html alternatives and
    the text/plain alternative reaches the list, or maybe the reply is
    html only and it too is rejected by the list. However, in either case,
    you are a direct addressee of the reply so you receive it in its
    original form.

    Further, your MUA settings include things like "reply to messages in
    the format received" and maybe "when sending 'rich text' send rich
    text only". This causes your MUA to compose and send an html only
    message which is rejected by the list.

    If you have the original reply and/or a saved copy of your reply to
    this reply, examine the raw messages to determine the MIME
    structure/content-types to see what's being sent and received.

    You may also wish to look at the list archive to see if the original
    reply is there.

    The solution is to adjust your MUA to send plain text only and to not
    reply to messages in the format in which they are sent.

  • Martin Dennett at Nov 4, 2007 at 7:26 pm
    Mark

    Thanks as ever. The incoming mail was (appeared to be) in plain text, so
    I've made an amendment in Thunderbird's settings to reply in plain text.
    I'll see what happens next time I try to reply as previous.

    Rgds

    MD

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Martin Dennett wrote:

[...]

  • Martin Dennett at Nov 4, 2007 at 7:30 pm
    And just to throw a bit more fuel on the fire, my reply to Mark bounced
    as "Reason: spam source blocked"

    :-)

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Martin Dennett wrote:

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 4, 2007 at 8:11 pm

    Martin Dennett wrote:
    And just to throw a bit more fuel on the fire, my reply to Mark bounced
    as "Reason: spam source blocked"

    That message comes from Postini when it has blacklisted the IP address
    that is connecting to it to deliver the mail. If this blacklisting is
    improper, you can try to submit a sender complaint at
    <http://postini.com/about_postini/complaints.php>, but they generally
    just stonewall and redirect you somewhere outside Postini.

    Ironically, about a month ago, they started blocking mail from my
    msapiro.net server, so I couldn't send (B)Ccs to myself. This was
    apparently because my (fixed with proper rDNS) IP was in the middle of
    a dslextreme generic block. The only response I got from Postini was
    "contact value.net". Fortunately, value.net was able to get my IP
    whitelisted.

    FYI, you can bypass Postini by mailing to me at the mail.value.net
    domain instead. Also, because of continuing problems I have with this
    service, I will soon be using a different primary email address which
    should avoid all of this.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 4, '07 at 1:05p
activeNov 4, '07 at 8:11p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Martin Dennett: 3 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts